Thread: cedar garden bench complete & a finishing question

cedar garden bench complete & a finishing question

hi,

i've just completed this cedar garden bench that i've been working on for the last three weeks or so:

cedar_bench_1131.jpg

now, i have to decided how to finish it - whether i want to leave it natural or use finishers. i've had suggestions both ways and i'm not too sure what to do here.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

Rick, I like your bench. Great design and execution. I'll let the finishing experts way in on the answer. I will state that I'm not fond of outdoor finishes that have to have annual maintenance applied. I think cedar ages nicely (if I'm not mistakem) without a finish.

I vote au natural.

Great looking bench. Lars

I would also vote for natural. The teak benches in my yard have been let to weather naturally and a good hose down every spring is about all they need. I would seal the ground contact surfaces with epoxy, but beyond that finishes mean maintenance.

Oil finishes might maintain the color for a while, but ONLY if they are renewed monthly.

The semi-pigmented stains such as Cetol probably only need annual maintenance, but don't really look very natural, and in my experience tend to darken long before they fail.

Paint is likely to have the best longevity. Use the best you can find.

If you must have a clear finish--ie. you are a masochist--then use a coat or two of a low viscosity penetrating epoxy--such as that from Smith & Co.. Then put about 6 coats of very good marine spar varnish. (Interlux Schooner, Epifanes Clear, or Pettit Captain's) Then expect to patch any dings promptly, and annually lightly sand and add another coat. After something like 6 to 8 years, the varnish may become brittle, and you will have to strip it all off and start over. You could lengthen the life by keeping the bench covered as much as you can with something like Sunbrella fabric.

Natural for me, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My painter uses Cabots Australian Timber Oil on the decks we build and it produces beading water and a wet look for mahogany and cedar products. I have seen him re-treat year old decks where this finish has weathered away and the wood looks grey and he uses bleach and an acclerator (called kaboom or some funny name like that available at the borg-bleach enhancer or accelerator) mixed with water. He scrubs with stiff bristle brush to clean the wood. Let it sit and hose off. Let dry in the sun and apply more Timber oil with thick knapp (sp?) paint roller and smear puddles away with a rag. The old wood looks brand new and has no "finish" and no sanding required. Nice because wood looks good adn has some preserving oils (no oily residue after about 48 hrs or a good rain) and the water beads right off. Might be worth a try on your bench. I could find out more from him if you are interested.

thanks for your comments on my bench - much appreciated. i appreciate even more the advice to leave it 'au naturel' - especially since i only have to move it from the front foyer to the backyard deck!! that's great!

to help extend the look of the bench i will probably cover it and put it in our backyard shed over the winter. we do that with all our other garden furniture and it makes a big difference.

thanks again!
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada - 30 miles north of Victoria, B.C.

I built 2 of these benches a few years ago of cedar and I opted for natural (see pic below)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jerry

Another vote for natural.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi