Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Scrapbook

Cherry Scrapbook

Here is a post bound scrapbook I made from cherry that holds 6x6 pages. The cherry came from the scrap bin at a local cabinet making company. Planed down to 1/4" thick. I used tiny piano hinges and chicago bolts from LV. The finish is Watco Danish Oil and Deft High gloss sprayed from a can.

I donated this to our church missions auction this weekend and it brought in $40.00. Here is the real kicker...you know the girl that got my mirror. Her mom bought the scrapbook to give to her for Christmas. There is someone out there who is getting a collection of Alkinburgh originals that isn't married to me I never thought that would happen.

Oh, the edges on the pic are a bit ratty b/c I was playing with Elements this weekend since the Creek wasn't here to keep me occupied. If you would like to see all of the pics you can go to http://www.alkinburgh.com/albums/scrapbook/

Noah
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Noah Alkinburgh; 09-22-2003 at 11:10 AM. Reason: fixed the link it didn't go to the other pictures just the same one oops
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very nice Noah, The cherry really sets it off. Great of you to donate it to a worthy cause.
    I made a couple out of oak last year. Not my design though, You may have seen the project in Wood Mag.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Not too shabby

considering it came from the scrap bin

Looks great Noah The brass & cherry really look good together.

Did you autograph it for your new fan?
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Quote Originally Posted by Don Farr
    Very nice Noah, The cherry really sets it off. Great of you to donate it to a worthy cause.
    I made a couple out of oak last year. Not my design though, You may have seen the project in Wood Mag.
    Don,

I didn't see the one from Wood, but I must admit that this concept came from one I saw in PW Mag. Also Ken shared one that he made with me. He made it long long ago so the magazine probably got the idea from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sweeney
    Looks great Noah The brass & cherry really look good together.

Did you autograph it for your new fan?
    Tom,

Are you realizing a theme here in my woodworking...if it was in the trash and free I want it I did not autograph, in fact I had to outright lie to her when she asked who bought it. She will bring it back and have me sign it at Christmas I am sure. She did make me sign the mirror.

Oh, I got my sample of anchorseal on the way

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Noah, that looks great. Get your John Hancock on there at some point. BTW, you'll like the Anchorseal. I've used about 1/3 of my sample quart--they were quick getting it out to me, and I'm sure I'll be buying more of the stuff in the near future. Cheers!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Nice job, Noah! You have my permission to post pictures of cherry items any time your little heart desires...

And that is one lucky young lady! hee hee
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    Don,

I didn't see the one from Wood, but I must admit that this concept came from one I saw in PW Mag. Also Ken shared one that he made with me. He made it long long ago so the magazine probably got the idea from him.
    Noah
    Noah - the one I showed you was not my design and it was waaaaaay before the Wood Mag one. Actually I got the design from a childhood friend (Moses) who got it from a carpenter we knew in Jerusalem some time ago.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

You'll like the Anchorseal

I cut another chunk off the same pear tree & put the anchorseal on it & it hasn't cracked yet - unlike the piece I put the regular wax on.

You can't be free stuff. I think I'll put a post about my free turning wood bonanza a little later.

Lying to a little girl at a Church auction TSK, TSK

Tom,

Are you realizing a theme here in my woodworking...if it was in the trash and free I want it I did not autograph, in fact I had to outright lie to her when she asked who bought it. She will bring it back and have me sign it at Christmas I am sure. She did make me sign the mirror.

Oh, I got my sample of anchorseal on the way

Noah
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Noah, I really LIKE that! And, in one of my favorite wood flavors, no less. Very nice. Once we get packed, moved, unpacked and shop setup, I may try my hand at one. Thanks for the idea...Wherever the heck it came from!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Ok, Tom and Noah, fess up............where DID you get the Anchorseal Freebie samples from? I don't particularly need it, but hey, if it's FREE? Inquiring minds want to know! (After all, I just cleaned out my Garage, and I think I can find room to store a Quart!)

Here ya go Kevin.....

Here is the website with the number and description of the products they sell.

https://www.uccoatings.com/

They must be getting alot of calls cuz they used to give out free 1 gallon pails...

Scott

Kevin

Send them an email & they'll send you a free sample
    https://www.uccoatings.com/ is the web site
    I think this is the email address I used: webinfo@uccoatings.com

I received a very nice email from a Dave Sondel who asked if I wanted it tinted or not & then a few days later I had my free sample - no shipping charges or anyhing. It seems to be good stuff too & a little seems to go a long way. I would highly recommend it. I had cut a few pieces off a pear tree & I coated them with regular wax - they cracked like crazy. Over the weekend I cut another chunk off & coated it with Anchorseal & It did not crack at all. The price is very reasonable & if I ever close the deal on a bunch of logs I'm trying to get - I'll definately be ordering some.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    Ok, Tom and Noah, fess up............where DID you get the Anchorseal Freebie samples from? I don't particularly need it, but hey, if it's FREE? Inquiring minds want to know! (After all, I just cleaned out my Garage, and I think I can find room to store a Quart!)
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    Sheesh Kevin, you hijak my thread and all you want is the info on how to get something free and you don't even have a comment negative or otherwise on the original contents of the post. The nerve of some people I will forgive you since I know what the word free does to me, clouding vision, leaving the senses dulled, causing drooling and big fawn eyes. hehehehehe

Yep just call up UC Coatings and they will send it out to you. They only send quarts to turners, so if you are going to use this for milling lumber tell them that and that you have access to a mill and they will send you more. Both Tom and I spoke with the same gentleman b/c he reps PA so you may talk to someone else. Enjoy!

Noah
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

John,

Glad you liked it. As I learned in college the best ideas are stolen ideas that you just improve on I will be making some more of these I think so I will pass along any tips and tricks as I go. One thing I will do next time is cut some spacers out of chipboard (cardboard for those of you not in the printing business) to put in the bound side. This way you can always have the cover lay flat when you add the thickness of the photos and pages inside.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Noah, I really LIKE that! And, in one of my favorite wood flavors, no less. Very nice. Once we get packed, moved, unpacked and shop setup, I may try my hand at one. Thanks for the idea...Wherever the heck it came from!
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don,

Noah
    Where ever the design came from here are the ones I made from oak.
    Not as fancy as your cherry ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don