Thread: Ridged 13" planer

Ridged 13" planer

I've been wrestling with my wrist breaker Makita 12" planer for several years now and no matter how I lube or clean it out I can still twist that thing about off the table if I try to adjust the head without holding on with both hands.

Yesterday I tried the Ridged 13" planer at HD and just fell in love with that smooth easy adjustment system that moves the cutter head up and down.

Does anyone have and use this? It's kind of pricy but that slick movement might be worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Crawford

Does anyone have and use this? It's kind of pricy but that slick movement might be worth it to me.
    Jerry, no help on the Ridgid and I don't know what you consider "pricey". In any event, have you looked at or considered the new Dewalt 13"-er? Two speed, three knives, automatic head lock and close to a hundred pounds of stability. No, not real portable, but if it's going to live in the shop, not a biggie. Great reviews on it, thus far, and I actually got to work the crank and hear it run at my local Woodcraft last week. Sweet machine! Just a thought....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jerry,

I too, would suggest a look at the new Dewalt. I got to use it a little this past weekend and really like it.

Bob

Jerry - I've heard plenty of positives about the Ridgid, but if it's still priced comparably to the 2-speed units from Delta and DeWalt, I'd consider looking at them first. Also, the older DeWalt 733 has been an excellent value on sale for the past several months.

I have the Rigid Planer and love it. In light of the newer 2 speed / 3 blade units, and the questionable relationship between HD and Rigid and the availablility of blades down the road, I would give them serious consideration also. You can't go wrong with either though.

Jerry,
    <P>I have the Rigid 13" planer and really like it. It's nice and heavy and works like a champ. Since I get most of my hardwood rough sawn, I use it quite a bit. I've had it now for about 3 years and have had no problems.

<P>However, I've read up on that new Delta 2 speed planer and have heard great things about it. I believe it actually scored higher than the Rigid in a recent compression done by WOOD magazine. It might be worth your time to check out that issue to see what the editors have to say about all the "portable" planers out there. (How something that weighs 80 lbs could be considered portable, is a bit of a stretch. Don't you think?)

<P>See ya,
    Dominic Greco

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Crawford

Yesterday I tried the Ridged 13" planer at HD and just fell in love with that smooth easy adjustment system that moves the cutter head up and down.

The rumor mill has it that Rigid (Emerson) and HD are parting ways.
    It might be something to consider if maintenance and parts could be a problem in the future.

Bob

Jerry, I purchased the Ridgid planner about 6 months ago and have been super happy with it. It is my first planner and I learned quickly how to use it. I experienced my first snipe this weekend on a piece of hard maple. Knives may need changing by now. Anyway the piece was a little long so I just cut it off.
    There are a lot of rumors about HD and Ridgid. I don't think they are parting ways considering the big brand new display they have up for Ridgid drills and such. I just think that Emerson Electric has sold the rights to Ryobi and will no longer be making them.
    The warranty will change though. There is big sign at the HD about it.
    If you act quickly you may get a planner in stock that was made by Emerson and get the lifetime warranty.
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Thanks guy's. I really didn't have any new info about planers and was not aware of new technology on them over the last 5 or so years since I bought my Makita. I may have an opportunity to pick up the Ridged at a hefty good price and I really like how easy that handle on the side raises and lowers the head. A lifetime warranty on this thing sound good too. I recently needed a new shop vac and bought a Ridged. The clerk commented about the lifetime as I left the store. Sounds good to me. I appreciate the comments all.

I too bought the Rigid planer after borrowing my co-workers. Easy to adjust, and blade changes are a snap. I love it.

Chadd
    Chadd

I've had the Ridgid for a couple of years now. I like it.
    One of my favorite features is the depth stops. That way, if I need to machine more wood for a project, it's right on with little thought or effort.
    If I were looking now, I'd have to give serious consideration to the new Dewalt. When using figured wood, I sometimes wish the Ridgid had 2 speeds like the Delta. But, I've found that temporarily putting brand new sharp blades in really helps (as mentioned blade changes are a snap).
    I'm hoping that Ridgid blades will still be easily available for years to come (if not from HD, at least from Ridgid.com).
    Jay St. Peter

I've been running my Ridgid for over two years now and it's been great.
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Ridgid 13" Planar

I've had my Ridgid over two years, used it a great deal with rough lumber, and used it to plane hardwood (maple and cherry) for furniture. It's been excellent for me (a hobbyist)

anyone now what the off-the-shelf price is on that planer? I'd like to do some shopping around - any other places carry them other than HD?

Count me in.......

My Ridgid Planner is going strong and doing great after three years. Just rotated the blades last month. All of the above mentioned features make it a great machine.
    Be Blessed!