View Poll Results: When turning, I wear a face shield...

Voters
369. You may not vote on this poll
  • always

175 47.43%
  • sometimes

155 42.01%
  • never

39 10.57%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear a face shield?

I have always been a proponent of wearing full protection.
    Protection.jpg
    Only the Blue Roads

Always!!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Do you REALLY understand?

[QUOTE=Andy Hoyt]I have always been a proponent of wearing full protection.

Andy,
    A 1/4" coating of sugar-maple, strawberry-chocolate swirl covering your entire face as a result of a brutal attack on a two-quart sugar cone does NOT qualify as "full face protection"!

Just thought that you would like to know, bud!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

[quote=Dale Thompson]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    I have always been a proponent of wearing full protection.

Andy,
    A 1/4" coating of sugar-maple, strawberry-chocolate swirl covering your entire face as a result of a brutal attack on a two-quart sugar cone does NOT qualify as "full face protection"!

Just thought that you would like to know, bud!

Dale T.
    But that goop you decribed solidifies quite nicely with a dollop of Schlmaca sap. The sap can only be harvested during a full moon on February 29th, so it's kinda pricey.
    Only the Blue Roads

How'd you get a custom suit that fit so tight to your body???
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I voted ALWAYS as my shield has a built in respirator. Even with turning pens, I don't like to take chances with the toxins of wood dust nor the outside chance of blowing a blank and picking splinters out of my eyeballs. I know that I am overly protective when it comes to safety, but I see no need to invite trouble when it can easily be avoided by lessening risk taking.

I do when I'm at work teaching, because that's policy, and I think it's a good idea to set that example...

However at home I don't, I do a lot of small work, and while I've been hit in the chest with a little block of maple I've never had or seen anything that makes me feel the need to wear one. The only thing that comes close is watching the metal shop teacher bury a chuck key in a cinderblock wall, illustrating the point of NOT letting the chuck key in the chuck. Then again a face shield won't do much against a chuck key thrown at your face.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Just started turning again.
    I started using just the safety cage on my Jet. After getting a few pieces thrown at me (and launching a piece), I deceided that I needed a bit more protection for those small chunks.

Greg A
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire

I wear it fro anything larger then a pen. Even with a pen I wear cover-up (almost goggles) style safety glasses over my regular glasses.

"The best things in life are not things."

Always when roughing out bowls. Sometimes when finished turning. Depends on how wood looks and how chips are flying.

I always avoided shields and eye protection until I had double cataract surgery six months ago. After getting my sight back i wear them. Sight is too precious to lose to a hobby.

Always a face shield. When I first started turning I used safety glasses and hated them - tried at least 5 to 8 different pairs. Then someone suggested a face shield - I thought it would be uncomfortable, hot, hair would get messed up, etc. I couldn't believe it when I put it on - so nice and cool not cool looking and yes it does mess up my hair but better that then my face.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-29-2010 at 8:53 PM. Reason: implied profanity

If one is LUCKY while not wearing their face/eye protection, they get away with a minor injury and a serious reminder that wood is hard we are soft and that some broken things don't repair.
    I got lucky when I had my catastrophe. Just a cut between the eyes. I was wearing street glasses making that "final pass." I was lucky and my eyeglass lens stopped the piece that was heading straight for my eyeball.

Been extremely faithful to my face shield since then. ALL outside work, even on small stuff, face shield. Hollowing pieces with holes, face shield (and a hat).
    Sorry can last forever.

Sermon over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Moffett View Post
    Most turners recommend wearing a face shield, but I rarely see people wearing them. I'm curious to know how many of you do or do not wear one. Thanks!
    Change One Thing

I always do except last week I was sanding glue finish on a pen and didn't think I'd need it although later I discovered I'd gotten some wet CA glue in one eye and it turned it very bloody.Learned a lesson!

I put never, but my Trend Airshield Pro will be here in the next day or so