View Poll Results: When turning, I wear a face shield...

Voters
369. You may not vote on this poll
  • always

175 47.43%
  • sometimes

155 42.01%
  • never

39 10.57%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you wear a face shield?

Do you wear a face shield?

Most turners recommend wearing a face shield, but I rarely see people wearing them. I'm curious to know how many of you do or do not wear one. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jeff Moffett; 07-12-2006 at 12:21 AM.

You bet I do. The few times I didn't I got stuff in my eyes to remind me.

I just went out and bought 2 spares in case someone comes over and want to watch.

I put sometimes It really depends on what I'm turning! on what eye/Face protection I wear
    a pen I do not !
    an out of balance bowl blank I do!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Never, but then again, I don't turn.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I put always but the only time I don't is when doing pens.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jeff I started turning in January. I do not wear one or own one. Up until now I have turned primarily pens but I am starting to turn boxes and I am thinking of picking 2 things up, 1 a shield and a respirator.

Mark, i didn't realize you didn't turn! Saving up for a a lathe? What are you wanting to get... mini, full sized.. turn it all pens, boxes, bowls etc.? Just curious.... or you just like hanging out with a motley bunch of no good for nothing spin jockeys

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Jeff I started turning in January. I do not wear one or own one. Up until now I have turned primarily pens but I am starting to turn boxes and I am thinking of picking 2 things up, 1 a shield and a respirator.

Mark, i didn't realize you didn't turn! Saving up for a a lathe? What are you wanting to get... mini, full sized.. turn it all pens, boxes, bowls etc.? Just curious.... or you just like hanging out with a motley bunch of no good for nothing spin jockeys

Corey

No, I don't turn. I just try to learn more about WWing and become a more rounded person........well.......learn more anyway.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Jeff,

Like Jim K., I too wear one faithfully when turing a bowl blank, platter, or box. I never wore one while turning pens. However, I have been hit by at least 3 flying pieces of bowl or platter pieces when a chunk breaks off unexpectedly. All 3 times, it's been to the faceshield. So, YES...I wear one when turning and I won't let my 11 year old son, Joseph, turn without one, period.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I do whenever turning anything larger than a pen. First time I tried to go with just glasses I got a little piece of something in my eye; hopped right over. Nothing got stuck, but it sure felt like something was in there for a while. Then I tried it again not long after because I forgot, and the same exact thing! Maybe it's me or my glasses, but I'm keeping that shield on.
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com

Blog Entries
    I have never worn one while turning pens, but bowls or boxes are another story. I have not had one launch off yet, but would rather have it hit a face shield than my ugly mug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Made it a habit---heck sometimes I forget that it's even there.
    Now I keep a extra one at the other end of the shop--just in case I want one there---hey I am lazy and may not want to walk very far to get one so there is always a shield close at hand.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I answered "Always", but I tend to take mine off after I've roughed-out a pen or bottle stopper. So far, the two (count'em, two) bowls I've roughed out were done with a face shield, and any time I'm turning something cracked I'd be wearing one. My sister's husband got hit hard in the head from a chunk flying off a lathe in high school, and he'll have nothing to do with a lathe now. I always keep him in mind when I'm using the lathe.

- Vaughn

Have to say no. But I do wear safety glasses. Un air conditioned shop and high humidity to me is more dangerous since it would fog up and affect my vision. Need to invest in an Airshield which is what I told the wife last night. Never had anything launch off the lathe but being left handed my stance is a little different than most and hopefully itwould miss me anyway.
    Brian(looking for an Airshield, got one for sale?)

never have, probably never will. but i make the kids wear one when they want to use the lathe...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I always wear a full face shield, even while just finish sanding things that are spinning. If the lathe is running the face shield is down. I work with microscopes all day and if anything ever happened to my vision I would be unemployed and have to career. I love turning wood, but I still gotta work for a living!