Thread: What is your ideal realistic clamp collection?

What is your ideal realistic clamp collection?

Friends,

Fair warning, I posted this over on woodnet too. I'd really like to have some more opinions.

I've hit two Jorgy Sales and missed two others. Now I could kick myself for not *fully* completing my collection when I could. I'm trying to get my act together so that next time I get to a sale in time I know what to order. I want the clamp collection to be complete but not overdone. Having 100 24" clamps does nothing but take up my shop space.

My upcoming projects include:
    Queen sized bed
    Night stands
    Entertainment Center
    Dresser

This is what I was thinking:

12" 4
    24" 8
    30" 6
    36" 8
    48" 4

What do you think?

PS It's worthing noting that I have pairs of 4', 6', and 10' pipe clamps.

Personally, I don't think there is real magic number other than you can never have too many, assuming you have space. The only rule I use is its nice to have the right clamp for the job, not too short or too long. But I also realize I can't have 50 in each size too.

So here is what my philosphy is: Most things I build fall into the 48" wide or narrower range. So I need to have enough clamps to hit each corner and the middle. So I have 8 50" Bessey's for that. The cabinet maker set is usually 2 40's and 2 24's which should do two doors at a time in sizes I don't ever plan to go bigger on. So, I have 8 40's and 8 24's in the Bessey's.

Occassionally, I do smaller doors and the 12's would sure be real handy, but since no one ever puts them on sale and $34 seems like so much to spend on a 12" clamp, I use my 24's (breaks rule number 1 having just the right size clamp). If I did have them, I would probably shoot for 8 of those as well.

You have to have a bunch of the cheap 4" clamps because dang it, I just seem to always need them for something. Now when the projects are like beds and long dressers, etc. The 60 or larger Bessey's weight too much, so I switch over to pipe clamps. I have some 60" pipe and they are threaded on both ends so I can couple some smaller pipe together when needed. I try and keep 4 of the long pipes and some various sizes 18-36" around, they don't get used much anymore sense the Bessey and Jorgy frenzies.

Others will have their opinions, this is mine. The other thing I would say is think about what you build or plan to build and see if you have the sizes and numbers to support. If I constantly made kitchen cabinets, then I might have a different mix, usually don't build cabinets much taller or wider than 36", so loading up on the 12's, 24's, 31's and 40's makes more sense than having a bunch of 50's. I would have enough clamps to handle all of the doors and/or cabinets - probably 20-30 of each size. Nothing sucks more than having to wait for glue to cure before I can finish the job. Time is money and that means spending the $30 plus on a clamp probably will pay for itself pretty quick.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I don't know without looking the exact count of each size but I use pipe clamps,,and those flat bar clamps my sizes I have a barrel full of sizes from 12" to 48" there are times I still don't have enough,,I keeps some extra pipe in different around to change if I need extras of one length,,,,,
    Mike

Your projects are what really dictates your clamping needs and realistically, that's a moving target! For example, I recently found I was running out of 24" K-bodies way too much so I ordered a bunch of the Jorgies during the sale. (the order was fullfilled with Besseys) While I can certainly use longer clamps in their place, that extra bar length hanging free of the workpiece can be anything from a minor annoyance to a realy hazzard...and I have a scar on my forehead right above my right eye to prove it.

My advise to you is to add to your clamp collection on a regular basis when the type(s) you prefer are available at a good price and pick up anything else you need for a particular project when you need them. In that manner, your clamp assortment will mirror your work needs over time and you'll pay a little less in the long run for them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...