Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staining New Fence

Maybe you can rent the equipment from a local paint store. If it only takes hours to do why not rent it and save on cost.

As for me, I brush everything on as I find the wood sucks it up better and you are able to get into the little spaces that a sprayer might not get. It takes longer but in my case the extra time is worth it.

As for the stain, I have used both Benny Moore natural cedar tone (house) and Cabots solid white (fence and deck) products and have been pleased with both. Just make sure that the stain has some type of pigment in it. With the addition of pigment, the stain tends to stand up to the weather better.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cody
    ... will probably go with cabot semi-transparent or maybe penofin...
    Be aware that Penofin requires that you wipe off the excess stain about 1/2 hour after application. Penofin is an excellent product, but the wiping phase makes it a poor choice in my book. If you fail to do the wiping you are left with a sticky surface. Superdeck, mentioned above, holds up as least as well as Penofin, in my experience, and does not need wiping, particularly on new wood.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

You should be using an airless sprayer. Opposite of a pressure pot or air compressor tank. IMO its possible. I did mine with a sprayer 8 years ago and in two years ago we just hired a local company that professionally cleans and stains fences. A company like https://northcraft-deck-staining-services.com/

Ya true you can rent airless sprayers

With an airless, use a long tip extension, so you can stand back out of the bounceback, and paint the whole thing without bending over. Tips come in different fan widths, and orifice sizes for different coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein View Post
    I have tried several outdoor stains on wood decks, and the best I can find is Superdeck:

http://www.superdeck.com/

I use Superdeck at high altitude (7000 feet) where the sun is intense and the winters can be rather severe, and it outlasts any other stain product. Professional painters in this area use Superdeck on house siding as well as decks. It would work well on cedar fencing too.

I had Superdeck sprayed on my cabin siding (really dry plywood) about 12 years ago and it still looks decent. the guy who sparyed it used a Hudson sprayer. I'm at 5200 ft and the sun is intense and winters snowy and windy. It could use another application now. I have also used it on the deck around the cabin twice and that wood is going on probably 25 years old and is still in decent shape. And of course snow and ice sits on the deck a lot. Its not cheap but after seeing how it holds up, won't use anything else. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I have always used a pump up sprayer which gets pitched when complete. Last summer I stained 70 feet of 8’ foot fence with 2 coats in less than an hour.

FYI, this is a 16 year old thread. Which kinda makes me wonder how these old threads get dredged back up.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I wonder how the fence stain is holding up

I have seen this happen frequently on other forums as well. Brand new users will typically search on different subjects and then decide to reply to a thread without realizing the thread is 10-15 years old. lol.