Thread: Advice on Jet 1642 Lathe Purchase

Talking Advice on Jet 1642 Lathe Purchase

I am considering the purchase of a Jet 1642 VS Pro Lathe (JWL-1642).

Any advice, counsel or experience?

What other lathes woule consider in this price range?

What should I pay for this one?

ThanX
    John

Best lathe in it's price range

Quote Originally Posted by John_J1
    ThanX
    John
    John,
    I just submitted my review of this lathe to Keith the other day. It should be showing up some time soon in the articles and review section of this forum (it may be there now for all I know!).

To put it briefly, it is a great lathe. I've had mine for about 7 months now and haven't regretted the decision to buy it one bit. I've been able to turn large 16" dia bowls, all the way down to small potpourri bowls and candle holders. The Electronic Varidrive is excellent and is a joy to use. The lathe comes with a nice live center, heavy 12" cast tool rest, cast iron legs, and heavy duty faceplate (with tommy bar)

I recently made this lathe even more fun to use by adding a ballast box with 300 lbs of sand, and trestle legs to raise it up and make it more comfortable to work at. The articles on that should also be published soon here.

As for price, I've seen them offered anywhere from $1799.00 at WW'ing shows, to $1999.00 at dealers.

Good luck with your search.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home
    Be sure to check out GIS for good prices on new and SD at: http://www.generalindustrialsupp.com....asp?CATCODE=9

Quote Originally Posted by John_J1

ThanX
    John
    I have to agree with Dominic, this is a great lathe. I bought the 2hp version and have had it since June. The variable speed drive is really smooth and quiet. Quite a difference from my 1236. Fit and finish were excellent. As mentioned, accessories are great. I'd not hesitate to buy this lathe again.

Brian

Are you offering test drives?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian MacDonald
    I have to agree with Dominic, this is a great lathe. I bought the 2hp version and have had it since June. The variable speed drive is really smooth and quiet. Quite a difference from my 1236. Fit and finish were excellent. As mentioned, accessories are great. I'd not hesitate to buy this lathe again.

Brian
    Hi Brian,

I'll trade some wood for a test drive on your 1642. I can also offer you some free turning lessons but you need to remember you get what you pay for and sometime a whole lot less.

Dave Smith

Starting slow this morning in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith
    Hi Brian,

I'll trade some wood for a test drive on your 1642. I can also offer you some free turning lessons but you need to remember you get what you pay for and sometime a whole lot less.

Dave Smith

Starting slow this morning in Longview, WA.
    Hi Dave,

You're more than welcome to come by and give it a try. I work a 4+2 rotation, but I'm taking an extra week this time. I'm in AK now, but I'll be home between 25-Sept and 15-Oct. I'll send you an email with the home phone# and address.

Brian