Thread: Her first project

Her first project

Like most first time projects we .... no, she built bird houses. Specifically we built Bluebird houses to try to build up the population here on the mountain. This is my niece, Nicki. She is a smart young lady that really impresses me. She is always wanting to try something new.

We have been talking about this project for weeks. I made up my mind that she was to do as much as possible. So I started her out by giving her the plans, a cedar board and square and said lay it out. She passed the layout test with flying colors and with minimal help.

First step was to cross cut the plank to length. My DeWalt RAS intimidated me the first time I fired it up. Spinning that big 12" blade and high pitched whine from the blade, but not Nick. I gave her safety instructions and made the first cut with her holding onto the handle with me to give her a feel for what to expect. Then I stood back and let her try. She's smart enough to ask before acting. I was impressed with how easy she took to it.

Next step was to rip the boards to size. So we moved over to Lazarus (1948 Unisaw). Nick was impressed with my restoration, this was the first time she had seen it since I finished it. First step was some safety instructions but there is nothing like life lessons.

Yup, she managed to get distracted cutting a small piece (I should have cut it). She was trying to push the small scrap away from the blade with a push stick and let up on other piece. Not exactly sure what happened the piece went flying across the shop (literally) and glanced offer her arm. No real physical damage was done but a new respect for safety was gained. And we never did find that UFO either!

tn_table_sawing.jpg

It was against her will I think but she did make a few more cuts on Lazarus and did an excellent job too. And very carefully I might add.

Next step on the bottoms was to miter the corners for drainage. Look at that concentration on her face. Not just because it is my Niece but she is so focused on the task(s) at hand.

tn_bandsawing.jpg

A proud young lad and her first project. This is one of the four we built. Well she built, I mostly watched and made he first cut to show her how and let her do the rest. The way it should be done! There is not fun in watching someone else build your project.

Very well done! A budding pro WW'er if there ever was one. Soon she'll want her own shop.

Is she cutting cross-handed there on the RAS?
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 07-04-2006 at 4:13 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Is she cutting cross-handed there on the RAS?
    I saw that too. Yickes...

Jeff, looks like you got yourself a new shop buddy. Besides all that concentration I like the look of pride on her face with the finished project. You did good Jeff as a teacher and Nicki was a good student.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Exclamation ????!!!!!!

The cross handed thing got my attention before I read anything! Please For her Sake show her how to do this correctly!!!! SCARY!

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Well done - to both of you. Congratulations.

I missed getting my son interested until he was ready to build a cigar humidor... much too late.

Looks like Nicki got started at just the right time... interested, serious, and willing to follow directions and learn. How old is that? I would like to know when to offer to get my nieces and nephews involved.

Great job, Jeff, bring another in the WW family.

Happy 4th, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

She did a wonderful job on that piece, Jeff! Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My wife saw where Nicki had her hand while using the Radial arm saw & said oh my goodness. If you don't know where to put your hands please don't be teaching anyone else how to use a tool.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

She did a great job Jeff!

Corey

way to go nicki! (you too jeff)
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Nice results and there is nothing like the pride of making it yourself and the satisfaction of a job well done.

You go girl!

Now, has she signed up at the Creek yet?
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Great project. Good student! Great saw. Here is a link to Wally Kunkel and his book, "How to Master the Radial Saw". If you have this saw, you must have the book. His last name should have been DeWalt.

http://www.mrsawdust.com/

Jeff, congrats on your new shop buddy. The look on her face in that last photo is priceless!

To add on a word of "encouragement", please teach her to never, ever, ever use a RAS like that again, whether the blade is spinning or not. Bad habits are learned very easily. I'd hate to see a thread about her having an accident.
    Sam/Atlanta