Thread: Table Update 07-01-06;

Table Update 07-01-06;

Well I guess this is a good time to give those that are interested an update on my progress in building my Tilt Top Table. Since I last posted on this subject I had not worked on the table until yesterday. So yesterday I put in about 3 hours making some cauls, preparing the substrate and all those other ritualistic things I go through before I veneer. Today I have been at it since about 6:00 A.M. and am now pretty worn out. I did get the veneer pressed and started working it. Here is a picture with just the rim slipped on the veneered plywood and wiped down with miniral spirts. I have removed the veneer tape but have not begun scraping yet so I probably should have waited on this picture but I wanted a quick view of what it was going to look like.

While waiting for the veneer glue to dry while it was in the press I decided to get started on the main spindle. The only two dimensions that really matter are where the sliding dovetails will go and where the birds nest will go. Once that was accomplished I just went ahead and free formed the rest as I really don’t have any plans. So anyhow this is what came out and the wife really likes it so all is good.

So tomorrow I think I will see if I can get the veneered piece all scraped and glued into the rim and perhaps start working on my dovetail jig I will need.

Well thanks for having a look and more to come!

Opinions welcome and criticism accepted.

Ken

Wow, Ken, this is gonna be spectacular. I can hardly wait to see that burl veneer pop with a nice finish. Should be beautiful! The spindle is very well turned. Excellent work!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Nice Kenneth. You do fantastic work! Can't wait to see more!

Corey

Kenneth that is absolutely awesome. That is some very fine work. Keep the pictures coming.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Exemplary work to date, Kenneth. Keep it coming.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Nice table top.. the vaneer once oiled is going to have some great depth. I especially like your spindle work.. can't wait to see the overall finished piece.

Wow Ken, that is going to be beautiful. Keep the progress coming and thanks for posting.

Ernie

Outstanding, Ken!!

Question, are you going to do any dye/toner to bring the rim into color parity with the field or leave the natural contrast? (remember, walnut gets lighter as time passes...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    That is an awsome work Ken, look forward to more progress pics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Stunning work Ken! Keep those photos coming!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks everyone it is going pretty well as today I glued in the veneered piece into the walnut ring. I also started working on the birds nest so I will probably have an update tomorrow evening on how all that progresses. I took off vacation this upcoming week just to work on this table so you will probably see quite a bit more of it.

Jim, I have had this table in my head for over a year now and it has gone through many changes in my mind. When I finally decided to build it I was looking through my veneers to see what I wanted to do for a top. I have quite the collection of veneer and as I was going through them I came across this Bubinga that was lying with some Walnut. The Walnut veneer is a striking burl surrounded by the much lighter Walnut. It was then that I decided on the woods. I think the two will grow more dramatic as time goes on but we shall see as I really only have an idea until the finish goes on.

Ken