Thread: need advice - workbench design

Question need advice - workbench design

I'm building my new workbench from ideas I collected from various sources. The picture I'm attaching below is a leg assembly that is dry fit at the moment. Of course, the two leg assemblies will be joined by stretchers in front and rear. I am wondering, however, if I should also put stretchers between the two posts on each leg assembly. Is that overkill? These leg assemblies feel rock solid, even though they are only dry fit. At the bottom, the posts are joined to the sled feet by M&T; the mortises are 2" deep. At the top, the horizontal pieces are joined to the posts by bridle joints. When I glue the leg assemblies, I plan to add more rigidity to the joints by reinforcing them with dowels. SO.....should I go one step further and install stretchers between the posts on each leg assembly? What would you do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 06-30-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    I'm building my new workbench from ideas I collected from various sources. The picture I'm attaching below is a leg assembly that is dry fit at the moment. Of course, the two leg assemblies will be joined by stretchers in front and rear. I am wondering, however, if I should also put stretchers between the two posts on each leg assembly. Is that overkill? These leg assemblies feel rock solid, even dry fit. At the bottom, the posts are joined to the sled feet by M&T; the mortises are 2" deep. At the top, the horizontal pieces are joined to the posts by bridle joints. When I glue the leg assemblies, I plan to add more rigidity to the joints by reinforcing them with dowels. SO.....should I go one step further and install stretchers between the posts on each leg assembly? What would you do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Mark
    What's the height on that?

I would suggest that you need to have an additional stretcher there just to solidify the whole thing. It's a bench that needs to be the strongest project you'll ever make. Moreover, adding it will not be a huge endeavor. Do you need it? Well?....Probably not but.............

I'd do it, but I have no rationale to back me up. I would just do it for the sake of doing it and having a ridiculusly strong bench (and a heavier one).
    Last edited by John Kain; 06-30-2006 at 9:54 PM.

John, I knew I was leaving something out! LOL. Height is 32-3/4" to the top of the posts. Posts are 14-1/4" apart, on center. Sled feet and upper horizontal pieces are 23-1/2" long; upper cross pieces are 4" wide (bridle joints 4" deep). Thanks.

Mark, my leg set is roughly the same size as yours-m&t joints, and I didn't add stretchers on the sides.she is rock solid,just my 2cents

Hmmm,all my pics didn't upload.?

Nope, if your joints are tight. No need.

Mark,
    I have built 13 traditional benches, and 11 have the configuration you show, except that the bottom M&T for mine were through, and wedged. I have never used a middle stretcher. If your bottom M&T's are tight,you will not need it. More important is the lateral stretcher. That is where the pressure of hand planing shows up. I use a bolt and captured nut configuration, and would recommend it.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Helpful responses so far. Thanks all.

John, I've thought along the same line of reasoning, that a "rediculously strong" bench would give me greater peace of mind, and I may wind up going that route, but I'm trying to push myself to a new level of understanding with regard to structural integrity and what is adequate and what is excessive, etc.

Everett, thanks for the pics. I see that you went with a traditional tail vise. My end vise will be the type that spans most of the top's end and functions identically to the front vise. Two rows of dog holes. That might figure in to the direction in which pressure is applied to the bench during various applications--securing workpieces during buscuit slot cutting being one example.

Alan, on the benches that you built, did you create a traditional tail vise or the end vise that I'll be using? Also, on the lateral stretchers, did you use a M&T joint in addition to the bolt and captured nut configuration, or a butt joint? I would think M&T.

Full of questions this morning! I guess confusion is the best place to be, because that's often when we make our best discoveries. I'm just trying not to make the lessons more expensive than they have to be. Thanks again. All further comments/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Mark

I have used traditional tail vises on all 13 of the benches I have built. I use a very shallow M&T with the captured nut configuration. The tenon shoulders are only about 1/4" deep, and then tenon is only 3/8" long, and neednot be terribly tight. As the wood seasons, the bolt can be tightened, which I do several times per year, as needed.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop