Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinons on Wilke Machinery ?

Question Opinions on Wilke Machinery ?

Anyone here ever dealt with Wilke Machinery? I'm in the process of trying to convince myself to part with some money to acquire a new toy - er, TOOL (yeah, that's it ... *tool*) or two (or 3 or 4...). Some of the Bridgewood stuff (e.g., 8" jointer) looks pretty decent, but I don't know much about Wilke or Bridgewood. And I'd rather not have to wage war with someone 8 hours away should something end up being of less than acceptable quality.

Appreciated,

b
    Last edited by Brad Schafer; 09-16-2003 at 12:46 PM.

Brad,

Bought a cabinet saw from them in January. Good folks to deal with, good product. A few small problems I had with the order were sorted out right away. The only thing you may want to check is to make sure the shipping cost is ok for where you are.

- Ed

Hi Brad. Over the past year and a half that I have been reading the WW forums, I have never heard a bad word about the Bridgewood equipment. From what I have heard, the customer service is outstanding, and the equipment is setup in their shop and checkout prior to shipment to the customer. You should search the archives here and at other sites for comments on them.

I have heard that their cabinet saw is as good as any in its class and compares favorably with the PM66.

As always, my opinions are worth what you paid.
    Best Regards, Ken

search = nil

shipping may or may not be a factor - i live about halfway between Wilke and GIS; depending on what works, i might just take a "little" drive in the pickup instead of paying for shipping.

as for the search ... i tried looking here and didn't find much. i'm not real familiar with other forums (and honestly don't have the time to putz).

and before someone says something - NO, I'M NOT GETTING A LATHE.

appreciate the feedback/pointers,

b

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schafer
    shipping may or may not be a factor - i live about halfway between Wilke and GIS; depending on what works, i might just take a "little" drive in the pickup instead of paying for shipping.

as for the search ... i tried looking here and didn't find much. i'm not real familiar with other forums (and honestly don't have the time to putz).

and before someone says something - NO, I'M NOT GETTING A LATHE.

appreciate the feedback/pointers,

b
    Well if you come up to Wilke you let me know. Only about 30 minutes from me. You could stop in for supper or something.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falis
    Brad,
    Bought a cabinet saw from them in January. Good folks to deal with, good product. A few small problems I had with the order were sorted out right away. The only thing you may want to check is to make sure the shipping cost is ok for where you are.
    I also bought their cabinet saw and have been quite pleased. Only thing, did you have a slight problem of the rails pinching the fence?

-Dave

Brad, I've dealt with Wilke and have a couple of their pieces. I am currently very, VERY seriously considering their left tilt TS (10"). Their customer service is great and the shipper they used for my orders was literally an extension of their own great support! I curently have their 2HP DC and it really sucks (sorry, couldn't resist)! Oh, and when you're ready to order your lathe, give a looksie to their Yorkcraft lathe. It's a dead ringer for the Jet unit without a spindle lock and hundreds $$$ cheaper. I've had mine for over a year and am happy with it! (I know you said, "no lathe", but it's gonna' happen, so you might as well just accept it and save a few bucks in the process! )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Another satisfied customer here

Anyone here ever dealt with Wilke Machinery? I'm in the process of trying to convince myself to part with some money to acquire a new toy - er, TOOL (yeah, that's it ... *tool*) or two (or 3 or 4...). Some of the Bridgewood stuff (e.g., 8" jointer) looks pretty decent, but I don't know much about Wilke or Bridge. And I'd rather not have to wage war with someone 8 hours away should something end up being of less than acceptable quality.

Appreciated,

b
    I bought my Bridge wide-belt sander from Wilke. I found them very good to deal with and as others have already said Wilke has a excellent reputation, I've never heard a bad word about them.

A couple things I like about Wilke is when you purchase a machine from them they change out the over seas motor and replace it with an american made one. In my case the put in a baldor motor. They also test run the machine and make any necessary adjustments. My wide-belt came ready to go right out of the box and in about 6years I never had to make a single adjustment to my machine.

Shop around for the shipping, you don't necessarily have to use wilke's shipper, I didn't because I called some other shipping companies and found a better rate and when with them.
    Last edited by Richard McComas; 09-16-2003 at 1:50 PM.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

I bought their 15" wide belt sander (BWS-15B) a couple months ago. No problems so far, other than operator errors! The amp meter casing was cracked when it arrived, and they sent a new one, no questions asked.

Wilke Machinery

Anyone here ever dealt with Wilke Machinery? I'm in the process of trying to convince myself to part with some money to acquire a new toy - er, TOOL (yeah, that's it ... *tool*) or two (or 3 or 4...). Some of the Bridgewood stuff (e.g., 8" jointer) looks pretty decent, but I don't know much about Wilke or Bridgewood. And I'd rather not have to wage war with someone 8 hours away should something end up being of less than acceptable quality.

Appreciated,

b
    Just recieved the Wilke Machinery, BW-108 Edge sander yesterday, that I ordered last wednesday. Sander, lag screwed to pallet, w/box built around it. Not a chance for damage even though it had turned over and was laying on its side in the freight truck when it arrived. Fit and finish equal with American made machines of the last ten years. It sets in the shop next to the 1989-60" Wilke Stroke Sander that wasn't of equal quality that has sanded thousands of cabinet doors and glued up panels.

Brad,

I to have purchased a few items from Wilke. My DC has been at it for 6-7 years without a hiccup. I have purchased a lot of smaller items from them as well. They even had tires for my 60 year old bandsaw - which they took the time to help me size and gave me a few tips on installation. Each time I go in to their store, I find something I need (OK want). I'm not as close as Noah (45 min away) but if you do come into town give a shout - if nothing else for a little insurance while away from the safety of your shop.

Wes

Anyone here ever dealt with Wilke Machinery? I'm in the process of trying to convince myself to part with some money to acquire a new toy - er, TOOL (yeah, that's it ... *tool*) or two (or 3 or 4...). Some of the Bridgewood stuff (e.g., 8" jointer) looks pretty decent, but I don't know much about Wilke or Bridgewood.
    I bought the 8" Yorkcraft jointer a few month ago. I'm really happy. You can go to my website and check out the tool reviews section.

Quote Originally Posted by David Arcoleo
    I also bought their cabinet saw and have been quite pleased. Only thing, did you have a slight problem of the rails pinching the fence?

-Dave
    Dave,

No, didn't run into that at all - as far as I can tell. Not sure I can visualize what you mean, though.

- Ed

thanx

very constructive feedback (even from the cheesehead ).

appreciate all the experience - and the invites for supper/what-not as well. depending on what happens, i might take a few of you up on your offers. but ...

i'm not stopping by Bill G's, even if he's close. i hear that he's got Poolewood disease, which is mighty contagious, and i don't need any more "help" in that department.

thanx y'all,

b

Satisfied

Bought a Gerneral lathe from them several years ago. Even with the shipping it beat the price of most similar lathes in driving distance. Service was great. Packing was pallets and wood frame. It was sent via a shipping company but the depot was a nearby so i moved it the last few miles. (No way they would ever get a tractor trailer into where I live.)