Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tool protection in florida salty air along east coasts

Here in the "Magic Garage", on te West coast of Florida. I've used Johnsons paste wax for twenty years.
    The only problem I've ever had was when the Air conditioner Drip pan leaked through the ceiling in the garage, while I was away on a business trip.
    Sitting water on my tools for the week I was gone caused some rust, but I was able to cleaneup most of it, only leaving a couple of stains.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Like many of the folks above, I use T-9 with a paste wax cover. It lasts for about 9 months in my Florida garage. I use the T-9 on my hand tools as well.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Hi John and welcome to the creek:

I'm 33 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and have found the garage window unit air conditioner to be the best rust protector.

I wax with Johnson's Paste, have a bottle of Bioshield but don't use it that often.

The 50 year old cast iron table saw, Disston hand saws, Bedrocks and other rust growers seem fine with wax, and occasional wipe with WD-40 and dehumidified air.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, rust free in an air conditioned garage shop
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

4. John,

When my parents first moved to the Daytona area some 26 years ago they lived right on A1A. Everything corroded in record time to include cars and galvanized fencing. Once they moved about 6 miles inland the corrosion problems they experienced all but disappeared. They were no longer constantly swept by the moist sea air. My father has no problems with tools that he keeps in boxes and just a little wax from time to time takes care of his cast table tops.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>