Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lets hear from you NAVY guys

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moore
    I hope and pray that I don't offend anyone with this.

My Father was a SeaBee during WWII. He was over in Africa among other places. Wish I had talked to him more about it 'fore he passed.

But me. I was a chicken. I didn't want to go to Viet Nam and that is where I would have ended up. Draft shut down about the time I was old enough, 1971. I wasn't married nor was I in school. I went into construction after about a year after HS.

I will say that I personally thank every Vet when I can. I want to thank EVERY PERSON and their families on here who has been in the service.. Freedom isn't free and a lot of men and women have paid they price for our freedom.

THANK YOU LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

Mods, if you feel that this is too sensitive or it might cause trouble, PLEASE feel free to delete.

Randy
    Randy.
    No worries from me. That was very strange time period in American history.

People enter the military for numerous reasons. For me it was Proposition 13 in California in the 70's. I was working the nite shift in an Alpha Beta supermarket, and going to college during the day. After Prop. 13 passed I had most of my curriculum canceled. 19 years old, out of college, and stocking shelves in a supermarket. Well, something had to change. I went into the military for the school, and the ability to see more than just So. Cal. I ended up stationed in Groton Ct, and have stayed here since I got out. For me it worked out. It has to be the right decision for the individual, or it can be a miserable experience for everyone until it's over. It wasn't the right decision for you. No crime in that.

Boot camp in San Diego 1965
    Electrician Mate A School San Diego
    Nuke Power school Velljo Ca
    Nuke Training Idaho
    Sub School Grotton Conn.
    USS Nathan Hale SSBM 623 while in the ship yarsd undergoing refueling and sea trials.
    Took boat to Guam
    Made 7 patrols on Gold crew.
    honorable discharge 1971.

I see that there are a few other bubble heads out there to bad about all of you other guys who road around on targets.

My son is a Navy Corpsmen stationed at camp LeJune. He has had 1 deployment with the marines in Iraq and now is assigned to the Navel Hospital.

Newly minted Ensign stepson is visiting his mommy this weekend. I still can't believe they're gonna let him drive a jet!

KC

My navy story

OCS @ Newport, R.I . Commissioned and sent to Supply Corps school in Athens, Ga for 6months.Assigned USS Chilton APA38, Div officer, disb officer etc. Had tours in Med, Carib and NY shipyd. The liberty times cannot be recounted here Bought car in France and brought it back to US on the ship. Many happy times in Europe, Carib .Then I was young, single, traveling, ans surrounded by good guys). Then assigned shore duty in Navy AnnexWash.D.C, where I met my bride to be. She worked In Joint Ch Staff office in Pentagon and even w my secutity clearances, I was not allowed in her office.. About a year later, we were married . I left active duty, started with P&G but stayed active in reserves for about 5 yrs. Ended up Lt. I have many great memories of that time plus met LOML. A very positive, fun time (you'll notice no reference to specific time frames in that I'm such a young guy . It was before vietnam and Korea but after the big wars so I escaped w no scars). 3 1/2 years of fun and trying to grow up...
    Jerry

USNR active

Raised my right hand in 1998 and went to school until 2003...

Then On the USS ASHLAND LSD 48 for 2 years,
    Now I am on my Shore duty, and I am in the desert playing in the sand.

Duke

HM2 1975 - 1984
    Third Marine Division - Okinawa ----------- oorah
    USS Nassau LHA4 - Norfolk --------------- plankowner
    SERE Insructor - Rangeley, Maine --------- boots boots boots
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 06-28-2006 at 9:32 AM.
    Only the Blue Roads

My father was in the Navy in the late 50's early 60's on the Destroyer the U.S.S Brain.

I was a Supply Officer. Did 2 years as disbursing/sales officer on the USS Paul FF1080. A little over a year after returning to civilian life, I decided to go back to school for my 2nd bachelor's degree and needed money. So, I went into the drilling reserve and was the executive officer of a small fuel handling unit for a couple of years.
    Doyle

Navy Slide Show

I was not in the Navy, but a friend sent me this today and I think all you "old salts" will enjoy watching.

http://objflicks.com/SeaPower.htm
    Best Regards, Ken

I did twenty years, went in in 1963, retired in 1983.
    Boot camp Great Lakes
    USS Tingy DD539
    PACRESFLT San Diego CA
    BT "A" School Great lakes IL
    USS Dixie AD 14
    USS Hollister DD788
    USS Henry W Tucker DD875
    NAS lemore CA.
    USS Flint AE 32
    NTC Great Lakes IL.
    USS Niagara Falls AFS 3
    Looking back The Navy was one of the smart things I did in my life
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Blog Entries
    Let's see, I did 17 years as and AF brat, then did four years at the Boat School in Annapolis that included summer cruises on the USS York County LST 1175 and USS Saratoga, after commissioning I did one year on the USS Hugh Purvis DD-709, one year on the USS Nantahala AO-60, six months in mine warfare school and 2-1/2 years in Helicopter minesweeper command and control that included deployments to Egypt twice to open the Suez Canal and clear their northern coast of mines, followed by 21 years in the reserves in various units and as commanding officer of reserve units for about 14 of those reserve years. I retired as an O-6 in July 1997.

Sea stories, well I can hold my own in most discussions of that type.

Lee
    USNA-'71
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

8 years and 8 days in the Navy active duty. Only 8 days at sea. I don't know that I'm qualified to tell sea stories.......... A couple of years ago I did ride the USS Carl Vinson for 3 days......that's 11 days at sea.....Naw ...still not enough to tell sea stories.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

1970 boot camp at San Diego.
    USS Bauer DE-1023 5 months on deck force then cook striker. 5 months.
    Vietnam aboard the ARG-4 mike boat tender in the MeKong River about 25 miles from Saigon. after my year I went to El Paso Tx. for language and advisor training for 45 weeks. We pulled out 2 days before my depol date back to Vietnam.
    From their I went to US Naval Hospital Guam. as a cook. had a ball with 35 cilivians working for us there was a party somewhere on the Island to go to every weekend.
    Reenlisted for a school and went to training deviceman A school in Memphis.for 9 months, from there to Corpus Christi tx to work on flight simulators. 2 years later I went back to Memphis for the advanced training for 11 months . from there I went to Ford Island Hawaii. wepassed the memorial every work day on the ferry. I spent the remainder of my tour ther.

I was selected for Chief but the civilianized my rate and when I applied they said they wanted a collage educated person. So I got out . I was a blast while it lasted.

Roger

8 days????!!??
    I had more than 8 days backing down...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

USN 67 - 74; OS2 when I got out. Great Lakes 7/67 - 4/68 then to Pearl on the USS Jenkins DD447; decom in 69. Went to Uss McMorris DDE 1036. Then on the the Mt Baker AE-34 till I got out in 74. Several West Pacs; a Golden Shell back, and two Med cruises. The McMorris was assigned to the Air Force while I was on her. Interesting assignments.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!