Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G0453 15" Planer ?

G0453 15" Planer ?

I think you guys are gonns drive me to the poor house, I have decided on the York Jointer, and will order tomm, but I had settled on the 13" Dewalt planer and was all set to buy one...now I'm not so sure, been looking at the 16" jet for about a grand and the Grizzly G0453 for a little bit less and having second doubts

In case I can't talk myself out of this madness, any thoughts on either planer?
    And do I really need a larger planer?
    I do, don't I?

tia

Al who's blaming this forum for all this.

Griz 15" planer and YES you do!

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits
    And do I really need a larger planer?
    I do, don't I?
    Of course you do!!!!!!! Allen

Bigger is always better !!
    I bought a Powermatic 18" and now I wish I had a 24"... ......
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Tell Wilke to throw one on the truck with your jointer. Both the Yorkcraft and Bridgewood are fine machines you won't regret owning.

You'll save some shipping also.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Tell Wilke to throw one on the truck with your jointer. Both the Yorkcraft and Bridgewood are fine machines you won't regret owning.

You'll save some shipping also.

Brian

That does make sense don't it...

Thanks all, going broke, but loving it.

Al who wonders if welfare will pay for wood working tools, seems to pay for everything else...

al, i hate to tell you this but all the hand tools required to support the power equipment cost untold times more money. as a hobby or vocation woodworking is something you can spend your entire life trying to master all the aspects of, and acquiring the various tools with which to attempt mastry.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Just did some figuring, the Dewalt is $499 and it looks like I'd need the mobile table $129, folding tables $50 and possibly the dust collector at $49, that comes to about $730, now add Minn sales tax at 6.5% and we're up to about $780.

The York 15" comes with cast iron tables, mobile enclosed base, 4" dust hood, magnetic starter, and a host of other features, Dewalt weighs 100#, York 672#.....beginning to see the error of my ways...

Anyway, wife actually agreeded the Dewalt wasn't quite the deal we thought and I'm ordering the York planer along with the jointer, we'll be on bread and water for a bit, but I think I'll be much happier.

Al ... who used to think action pistol shooting was expensive.

Don't forget to add the Byrd cutter head to the jointer and planer!

Brian who LOVES to spend other folks money
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Don't forget to add the Byrd cutter head to the jointer and planer!

Brian who LOVES to spend other folks money

Ahhhhh....you are trying to get me killed...right, wasn't exactly easy convincing the wife I "need" these to power tools as it was, especailly when some bozo salesman at the Borg tells her a 4 1/2" jointer and a $149 dollar planer will do everything I need.....

If I remember right, the guy at Wilkes actually said to run the jointer with the stock blades and he'd bet I'd be happy, seems they cut quite nicely.
    I'm figuring the planer should be more than what I need with the stock blades.

I do have to save a few bucks to buy wood....

Tod, ya I know its a never ending battle to get ALL the tools you need, but after these I'll have all the major dollar items taken care of, and I can nickle dime it from here.....er...maybe not nickle dime, anyway, I can now buy stuff as I need it..

Al

I own the Yorkcraft planer no comparison between it and a "lunch box" planer.The lunch box planer feels like a toy. I up graded twice before getting the Yorkie. Don't make the same mistake. I think you''ll be happy with either the Grizzly or the Yorkcraft. In my opinion there the same machine. Just painted different colors. The yorkcraft will cost a little more,but I was much happier the way the Yorkie was shipped. My .02. (sorry Tod)

Thanks Russ, its a done deal, waiting for the wife to deposit the funds to the check card (debit card?) this morning, so I can order both from York.

Just sitting here waiting.....come on Babe, call....waiting...waiting...

Wife works at the credit union we bank at if your wondering.

Al

Al,

Have you thought about having them throw a shaper on the truck also? Just a thought. Might save more shipping cost.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 06-24-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    I love my baby dewalt but, I bought not knowing if I would really take to this WW thing. You have the luxury of knowing you already love it and can spend once. While you're still happily planing and jointing away, I'll be spending what you're spending now just to catch up. Learn from those of us that scrimped at the beginning and enjoy those tools for life! ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As the satisfied owner of a DeWalt 735, I will tell you emphatically that you are doing the right thing. With tables, I've got $500 invested in my 735 (made my own stand) which is probably $300-400 less than you will spend, but in ten years, you will have a good planer that's just nicely broken in. I'll have a boat anchor.