Thread: Shop layout - input needed

Shop layout - input needed

I am working on the tool layout in preparation for dust collection layout. I thought I would get some additional feedback from the group...

workshop tool layout.jpg

Bob

Seems like a long run to the jointer & planer. Can you move them closer to the DC? Maybe bunch the big dust-makers closer together? That's a nice sized shop. Is that empty room designated as a finishing room. If not, you certainly have room to add one somewhere.

The only thought I have to offer is that I highly doubt you will mount the DC on either of the walls indicated. The way most have the port come off them combined with a strong desire not to put any more bends in the ducting than necessary will lead you to mount the DC on one of the other two walls. You might end up using the common wall between the two smaller rooms but I would move the door if you do.

added info...

Rob, the unmarked room will be an office. The finishing area will be the upper right corner with moveable walls or curtains. There is a explosion proof fan in the corner to evac any unwanted vapors.

Chip, I am planning on using either the 3hp or 5hp Delta dust collectors. They have the ability to be mounted 'upside down'. The port goes straight up instead of the typical side out only.

Bob

You have a lot of space, there, Bob. Make one general area for your power tools with sufficient infeed/outfeed space/paths, rather than spreading everything all over the shop. Based on your DC closet location, that should be on the right end of the space as illustrated. It makes for less duct work which is good for both expense control and system efficiency. Gang tools like the planer and jointer together for even more efficiency...they can share a drop that way. And consider a 3-5hp cyclone system, rather than a single stage unit like you mention.

The other areas in your shop can be used as "bench" space for hand tool work, assembly work, material storage and finishing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim B.......

Using the space on the right half of the shop... about 25 x 33'??? - you could put all those nice power tools in this area and run a linear DC network to the tools with minimum ductwork and max. efficiency.

Then use all that nice roomy area on the left for benches, assbly, storage, etc....

more info...

Jim and Roy, lumber storage will be along the wall with the black X which represent the chop saw. That is also why I placed the jointer and planer in that area as well.

The area nearer the utilities room has a couple large windows for natural light during bench work and finishing.

The good thing is that this is just the first run through on the machine layout. Every suggestion is most welcome.

Bob

Bob, your shop layout needs to reflect how you work, but also the practicality of things like dust collection. Relative to working style, I jump between my jointer and table saw constantly during a project...the only time I use my CMS is for initially cutting down boards for lengths once I skim plane them and determine where the components will be cut out. (There is a little TS work there to rip some things for the breakdown) I never fully mill lumber just for the rack. For this reason, I'd always have the "big three"...jointer, planer and table saw grouped as they are the heart of my shop with the BS nearby and getting more and more work. CMS, drum sander, DP, etc., are all "peripheral" tools to me and they are either mobile or located were space makes them convenient.

What I don't understand from your diagram is where you intend to do things like hand-work, assembly and finishing. Hence my original suggestion. It's the one thing I wish I had enough space to do in my own shop--machining area, hand-work area, assembly area and finishing area.
    --

More details

Jim, I updated the shop layout to better detail where the lumber storage and work areas are. Hopefully it makes things a little clearer.

workshop tool layout2.jpg

For what it's worth...

Bob,

You may want to consider running the duct work diagonally across the shop towards the bathroom. This might make it easier to pick up the various machines .

I would also think that the planer might need to be the machine placed closest to the collector. The 6' outlet and the 100 cfm requirements will be easier closer rather than farther away.

I do agree that the layout of the machinery seems somewhat different than the way I would layout my shop if I had that amount of space. But like you said, you can easily play around with that in the drawing stage; much easier to move a pencil than a 1500 lb. machine.

Had you considered contacting Oneida Air Systems? They offer free ductwork engineering if you purchase a system from them and the have some excellent quality systems.

All that being said, I must confess that my system is still in boxes, and has been for some time, waiting to be installed.

Greg

Bob,
    Layout looks good to me. Seems you looked at work triangle for processing wood, joinery, sanding, and finishing. I would probably move the Drill press closer to the bench area. You will find that you use the drill press when doing joinery and assembly. With it all the way across the shop you will do a lot of walking from you bench area to the DP.

For your duct work I would have a run that serviced the Jointer, Planer and TS and a diag run the serviced the rest.

Just my $.02

Greg

Bob,
    Seems to me that if you flipped your shop left/right, as shown in your latest diagram, then your jointer/planer would be a lot closer to the DC. Hmm, isn't that edge sander need high CFM also?

Of course, if you have a monster DC, then distances don't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Magnuson
    Jim, I updated the shop layout to better detail where the lumber storage and work areas are. Hopefully it makes things a little clearer.
    Your biggest chip/dust producers are, relatively speaking, the most remote from the DC. If you want or need them to be over there, consider moving the DC closet closer to them. You are likely going to have to up-size the dust collection system just to handle the distance if you leave things the way they are. Many of the online dust collection resources have the calculations you need to figure out how to size the system, etc, based on the requirements of the tools and distances/direction changes of the duct work.
    --

Bob, my jointer and planer are immediately behind me when I stand at my TS. You go back and forth between the TS and Jointer/planer and it is really convenient to simply turn around and be right at the other tool. I have an assembly area immediately to the right of the TS extension table so when I go to it from the TS I don't have to walk around the saw. I find this to be very convenient sometimes like today when I was mitering pieces to go around a picture frame by slipping up on the fit. I had to go back and forth a number of times and was glad to not have to walk around the saw each time. Ken

Bob, I agree with Jim that your DC Duct runs will be too long with the layout you now show. Currently, you would be better off if the DC and toilet locations were switched, but I think you can do better yet by rethinking your machine placements, and the biggest dust producers need to be much closer to the DC itself. With the placement you now show, I too seriously doubt the DC you have selected will be strong enough to handle the job. Also with the equipment you list, I too would vote for a Good Cyclone system instead of what you mention.

Please understand that this is just my personal opinion, but with the location of all your tools, I actually think that your current DC location shown is in the most ineffecient place in the whole shop, as the duct would cross too much space before even getting to the first tool, let alone, the distance to the largest dust producers.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 06-26-2006 at 3:42 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".