Thread: Wood ductwork brackets

Wood ductwork brackets

I'm in the process of installing the ductwork for my Oneida Dust Gorilla. I'm the kind of guy who gives a lot of attention to detail and likes things to be "purdy" as well as function nicely... a real "form-follows-function" sort of guy.

I'm interested in mounting and suspending my ductwork with wooden brackets and I wondered if anyone else has done or seen anything like this to get me started.

I envision a wooden base (out of some maple or walnut scraps) that would mount to the wall/ceiling with a rounded cut-out the same radius as the duct with metal strapping to hold the ductwork in place.

Thoughts and ideas about this would be appreciated. With all the smart Creekers out there, I'm sure to come up with a very nice product.

Thanks, Jeff.

An Idea

Jeff: Nice to hear someone has some room in their shop! Your idea of a "C" Shaped bracket sounds very easy and effective. Since you might want to move things around from time to time, you could hold the hose in place using large cable ties. There are even ties with a screw mount on them and when your ready to move things they can be cut and replaced. Not much chance that they will cut the hose either. When you get some finished put a picture on line.
    Mike
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

I will be installing my ductwork for my cyclone with short bungy cords. They are almost invisible, easy to install, cheap, they hold very well, they allow for movement without damaging joints, and they make it easy to relocate when need be.

I use small eye hooks screwed in to a drywall shield or to the roof truss directly then just hook one end of the bungy to it then around the duct and hook to the eye with the other end. This also allows for movement of the duct after placement.

Just $0.02 worth.

They also isolate vibration very well.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Frieburg
    I'm the kind of guy who gives a lot of attention to detail and likes things to be "purdy" as well as function nicely... a real "form-follows-function" sort of guy.
    Ha Ha Then you don't want to hear from me.
    My shop is disty dirty and disorganized.

I just know I left my 9mm over here somewhewre - - Hmmm Maybe under this pile of loose sticks? Hmmm

BANG

I used 24" plastic heavy ties to suspend my duct work with wood brackets (drilled for the ties as appropriate) to provide a mount point where needed. It does the job, is easy to change, is cheap and dampens noise/vibration...probably better in that respect than metal strapping. It was also nice for "the hangin'" as they could be installed very loose and the assemblies of duct work slipped in by one person. That made for less joining work "up high".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Instead of metal supports, I used old truck mud flaps cut in strips.You can get them from any truck stop for free. It allows for movement and reduces harmonics between the pipe and the ceiling.
    Al