Thread: finished hollow bowl (pics)

finished hollow bowl (pics)

Hi all,

I just finished the bowl. Decided to give it to my wife as a potpourri holder. The bowl itself is clear maple and the lid is cherry with a pewter insert from the Woodturners catalog. The finish is simply 2 coats of natural Watco.

All the pics

Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Very nice Bill...how about some dimensions?

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    Very nice Bill...how about some dimensions?

Noah
    Thanks Noah,

Including the lid it stands 4.5" tall and is 7" in diameter. I also picked up some of those confetti lamps since they were on sale (4/$7.99)...now I just need the drill bit.
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Esposito
    Thanks Noah,

Including the lid it stands 4.5" tall and is 7" in diameter. I also picked up some of those confetti lamps since they were on sale (4/$7.99)...now I just need the drill bit.
    Sweet mercy they are on sale!!!!! I better get some

Thanks for the info, I think the LOML would enjoy one of them...I am a bit unsure on the hollowing part though

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Very nice turning Bill. The grain in the Maple is beautiful, and the Cherry insert adds a nice contrast. I have had my eye on those Hummingbird Potpourri lids for some time...........these would make great gifts! Nice finishing job as well. Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Very nice, Bill. And it has one of the things that would make folks in our house happy...birds on it! Tosca and Spike both approve.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yup it finished up as nice as I figured it would

Verry well done Bill. The Cherry lid really sets it off nicely. & the lid looks great on it also. I'll have to check out those things - would probably make nice gifts for the Holidays.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Cool Neat idea!

Hey Bill, setting the lid off with Cherry, is a real neat idea! Takes the "plain old" potpourri holder to a new level. Very nicely done! Hope I can find some time between now & Christmas to crank out a few myself, as your work has inspired me!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thanks all.

The lid was an afterthought and I had to inset it into wood because the opening was too big. I struggled with the design a bit in both shape and height and then decided to shape it like the bowl and make it tall enough so as to make it's similar shape readily apparent....anyone notice?

As for making them as gifts, given a reasonable hourly rate everyone will be getting $500 christmas presents
    Bill Esposito

Bill, nice recovery with the inset Cherry Lid............if you wouldn't have mentioned it, I would have though it was a part of the original design. Anyway you "Turn" it, I really like the overall appearance!