Thread: I'm gonna take a stick to my cousin

I'm gonna take a stick to my cousin

When my cousin brought me some cedar, he mentioned wanting a walking stick. Since then I have turned 4 in 4 days. One that I have no pics of is at my bil's. I turned it there to show him the offset. I know it doesn't exist since there are no pics, but here is the one I turned for the cousin who brings wood frequently. Thanks for looking.........Think I may have it out of my system for a bit anyway.....doug

IMG_0016 (600 x 450)a.jpg

IMG_0017 (600 x 450)a.jpg

IMG_0018 (600 x 450)a.jpg

I like it!

How long is it?

Looks a little long for the green fella seated behind the last picture.

Great job.

Doug, that's another winner! The form and finish are exquisite, and the really nifty thing is how those knots make it look knobbly, yet the stick actually is not knobbly.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Doug it looks great. Nice form and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Fine looking walking stick Doug, You done a great job on all of them!
    I've been trying to figure out how to make one for my SIL and I think
    this is what she wants....just have to figure out the offset turning
    on a long spindle.... . Seems like those things would be whipping
    around alot....

I like it as well Doug. I have never turned a walking stick. (Put that on my "to do" list.)

Used to make walking and hiking sticks by finding saplings that had grown spiral because a vine had grown around them and cut into the bark causing the little tree to take on a spiral shape. I peeled off the vine and bark and sanded them up real nice. They sold quite well. I bet your walking sticks would sell well also.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Another nice walking stick Doug. Don't quit now though. We all want one.

Ernie

Very nice. I've tried turning walking sticks from hickory without success. Even with a steady rest, the wood was just too flexy and whippy. I know cedar is soft but is less flexible than others. How long is it and did you have to use any special techniques?

Before you get it out of your system, why not do a little picture tutorial on how you do the offset. Very nice job on those walking sticks.

Thanks ya'll......All of the sticks are 36 inches....smallest diameter is 1 inch, tapering on up to around 1 1/2 inches. The shafts largest is around 1 1/4. The offset is only 3/8 of an inch off center..Special technique? Only taking whole log down to around 2-3 inches to start with. Then turning from small end back 6 inches to size......I then sand to final grit....Move another 6 inches closer and repeat.....when I reach the 'handle' 6 inches, the rest of the stick is to final size and sanded to final grit...I take the handle to size, sand, move to offcenter mark and do my last bit of turning and sand that. I have found that by leaving the bulk of the shaft a larger diameter and working in small sections, I avoid a lot of the whipping. It forces you to be less agressive also. I thought when I posted the one this a.m. that I would do something different tomorrow.........Then my wife tole me her mother needs one.....So.... Maybe I shouldn't have made that remark about turning whatever, whenever I want..... doug