Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood work cost?

I'm selling my house and it's going for around $330/ft^2

I'm building a new house in AZ for $105/ft^2

Paying cash for the new one with the proceeds from the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    For building costs?!? Maybe for one of Mark Singer's cliff-hanger houses, but $300-400 a foot is pretty much the normal selling price for houses, even here. But I suspect about 25-30% of that is for the dirt underneath it.
    Things are different in SoCal than they are in NorCal, where up here it's more like 70% of the price is for the dirt underneath it. I think building costs in CA are aprox. $100-$150, and sure you can spend $400, or you could even spend $1000, but that's not the typical for folks to spend building a home. Now, if you're talking about sq.ft. to buy a home, that's completely different because it's got the land price included. If folks are paying $300-$400 sq.ft., there must really be a shortage of trades folks.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

We're in a remodel now. It's costing us about $450/sq.ft. Part of the expense is the fact it's an addition. Access to the back yard is tough. Foundation hand dug! We are also in a VERY expensive area. All the tradesmen have to charge a lot to be able to afford to live in the area also.

No, we are not rich! We've just been here a while and home prices have gone nuts. This is good for us as homeowners but really sucks for our children when they try to buy. If we were new to this market, we could not afford the house we live it.

This has drifted OT so I'll stop now...

Quote Originally Posted by John Hemenway
    We're in a remodel now. It's costing us about $450/sq.ft. Part of the expense is the fact it's an addition. Access to the back yard is tough. Foundation hand dug!
    That brings up something else. Remodel/addition work will generally cost more than the same amount of "new" construction: by definition, it's "custom" work and there will usually be additional demolition labor.

Has 'This Old House' ever published actual costs for one of their projects?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.