Thread: Deck replacement project

Deck replacement project

(part 1 of 2)

In the spring and summer, my “woodworking” projects move outside and they tend to utilize larger pieces of wood. This spring is no exception

Today, I completed phase one of a deck replacement project. For the last month, I have been spending most of my productive time first tearing down then replacing the deck at my daughter Kathleen’s house in the downtown region of Toronto.

Here is a before picture of the deck:

From the North (05-01) -Before work starts choped version -small.JPG

And here is a picture taken earlier today from almost the same perspective:

From the North (06-05) -End of phase one -small.JPG

The tree has been removed and both the fences and the deck have been replaced.

The material stained green on the new deck is pressure treated and the material with a clear stain is cedar.

The footprint of the new deck is almost the same but space has been gained by removing the tree, by reducing the size of the steps, and by replacing the two and a half fences that used to be on the right hand side of the deck with one fence.

Right now there is also extra space because the benches have been removed, but phase two will be to build moveable planters linked with benches so that extra space will go away.

Not shown in the before picture are the two pieces of plywood that I had screwed to the deck where people had fallen through last year. The old deck and fence were both falling to pieces as one can see from the next two pictures.

This joist was at the top of the steps:

The rotten joist at the top of the step -closeup (05-03) -small.JPG

There was a gap of about 3 inches where this post “met” the ground

The middle post on the east side was completely rotted through at the base (05-19) -small.JPG

Raccoons were living under the old deck. I made this much more difficult in the future by building this “anti-critter” fence around the entire perimeter:

Installing the racoon barrier around the perimeter of Kathleen's deck -2 (05-11) -small.JPG

Both the wire and the wood extend into the ditch then the ditch was filled in on both sides with rocks and concrete rubble.

(part 2 of 2)

I am particularly proud of the grill/grate that I built to allow light into the laundry room window (newly installed as an extension of the deck project) but, at the same time, to provide secure footing and to keep out small animals.

The cedar grate (06-05) -small.JPG

And, I can’t really leave this without showing a great sign that my son-in-law inherited from his grandfather who used to be bothered by tourists in a the very picturesque and historic region of Ontario where he lived. To get back at them, he posted this sign on his property:

On this site in October 1860 nothing happened -small.JPG
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 06-06-2006 at 5:37 AM.

A dramatic improvement Frank! Excellent!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

So you had a few of those dual dado inserts lying around, eh?

Nice job Frank. It all looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    So you had a few of those dual dado inserts lying around, eh?
    Not exactly. I used a jigsaw to cut the holes for the grate.

Nice job Frank. It all looks great.
    Thanks Rob.

The grill was a great idea, Frank...nice job on the whole project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Actually Frank, I was referring to the striking similarity between your grill and a dado insert. Bad joke.

Out of curiosity .. were those old posts set in concrete, cause that is usually what happens in my neck of the woods when you set posts in concrete.. I swear those home improvment shows that show putting posts in solid concrete are just there to help sell more timber.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Actually Frank, I was referring to the striking similarity between your grill and a dado insert. Bad joke.
    Sorry Rob, I missed that -maybe because I stoped cutting dados with my table saw and now use a router instead.

But, you are very right about the similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cody
    Out of curiosity .. were those old posts set in concrete, cause that is usually what happens in my neck of the woods when you set posts in concrete.. I swear those home improvment shows that show putting posts in solid concrete are just there to help sell more timber.
    Yes Michael, the rotten posts were set in concrete. And, I set my new posts in concrete too.

I don't think that the fact that concrete was used was the problem. Rather, it was the fact that the concrete around the post was shaped like a bowl giving the moisture a great place to gather. The other problem was the the wood was not pressure treated -nor had it been soaked in creosote or something similar.

I sloped the concreate away from the pressure treated spruce 4x4 posts that I installed and provided lots of drainage for them as well. I expect those posts to last a very long time.

Frank...I LOVE that light grill you made! I have one job coming up where I am setting three tempered glass tiles [3/8" thick] in the deck for light below. I never thought of doing it the way you did. Beautiful job!!!!

Frank,

What a great solution to the lighting problem. I really like the grate...very creative!

And it's amazing what the removal of the tree did to the deck. It seems so much more open and inviting.

Great work...as always...
    - Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    Frank...I LOVE that light grill you made! I have one job coming up where I am setting three tempered glass tiles [3/8" thick] in the deck for light below. I never thought of doing it the way you did. Beautiful job!!!!
    Kelly, I really appreciate the praise about my grill/grate/grid comming from the deck professional that you are.

On another deck that I helped to build a while ago, I had this:

Grill in Kathleen's neighbour's deck -small.JPG

fabricated of galvinized steel. It does the job but I don't think it looks nearly as good. On the other hand, it does let in more light.

Frank, that is a great job. I especially like the grill/grate you made.

While it seems your intention was for light to a window, I see it as an excellent means of removing snow/mud from shoes before entering the house.

I may see if I can do something similar on my deck in front of the sliding door.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.