Thread: First Oak Bowl

First Oak Bowl

I love this wood! I love the way it cuts and the way the grain looks. It brings back memories of my grandmother's house in Ravenna Ohio. The house was well over 100 years old when I was a child. All the woodwork and stair banisters were solid oak. This is just a small one, 4 3/4" X 2". It is finished with Danish oil. I have a big blank almost 12" X 8" that I am anxious to start.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Beautiful! I like the finish too
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

Great looking bowl, Chris. Although I've not turned oak, I watched in a workshop I took a while back as the professor turned some wet oak. The scent was... quite... interesting.
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

4. Very nice, love the grain in that.

It's freaking me out a bit, as the grain looks so much like what I was told was Sakura, it is unreal!

Makes me wonder if I was told what they thought or what they knew...?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Very nice, love the grain in that.

It's freaking me out a bit, as the grain looks so much like what I was told was Sakura, it is unreal!

Makes me wonder if I was told what they thought or what they knew...?

Cheers!
    Is it possible that Sakura is Japaneese for Oak? Never mind, just looked it up...Japaneese Cherry...I know this isn't that!

Nice bowl Chris! I like the wood, the form and the finish!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Great looking bowl. I love the way oak looks. But the only time I turned dry oak, it was bear. Took forever and couldn't get the tools sharp enough to turn easily. Used a scraper. Maybe it was because it was end grain.

Quote Originally Posted by John Timberlake
    Great looking bowl. I love the way oak looks. But the only time I turned dry oak, it was bear. Took forever and couldn't get the tools sharp enough to turn easily. Used a scraper. Maybe it was because it was end grain.
    I don't know about that this one was wet then put in DNA and dried, it wasn't bad at all. Now Live Oak on the other hand when dry is not quite as easy.

Hey, I noticed you're from Medina. Any chance you know a Pat Patterson or his daughters Gail or Patty?

That is a beautiful bowl Christopher. I really like that oak with the finish. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley
    Is it possible that Sakura is Japaneese for Oak? Never mind, just looked it up...Japaneese Cherry...I know this isn't that!
    Now there are lots of kinds of "Sakura" and the bark on this wood looks NOTHING like any Oak I've ever seen, I'm just thinking that the guys that told me it was Sakura, may not have known what they were talking about...?

Cheers!

Great looking bowl, Chris! Oak makes a nice looking bowl but I find it hot to turn and hard to sand. You did a fine job!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Nice looking bowl there. I have turned a couple small plates (saucers?) out of oak boards. I like the way they look. Haven't had any luck with green oak. ALWAYS splits.

Chris, that is a fine looking bowl I too like turning oak but most don't. They don't know what their missing.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE