Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Finished Crib And An Unusual Accident

A Finished Crib And An Unusual Accident

Been out of my shop for about three weeks now healing. Talk about strange injuries, while shopping at Lowe’s looking at some pool supplies in a rack, a Lowe’s employees operating a fork lift carrying a pallet of fence wire, came around the corner too fast and lost the pallet which skidded across the floor knocking me against the rack.

Long story short, after five hours in the emergency room, lacerations, multiple bruises but only one broken bone, the thumb, You don’t realize how much you use your thumb until you can’t. Must be the reverse of that old story about being all thumbs. In retrospect I was lucky that the pallet stopped about 12 inches short of the rack or I think it would have done serious injuries to these 68 year old legs. I think I will confine my shopping to Home Depot where they appear to practice more safety –they block off the aisles when loading and unloading.
    <O
    In any event, I was lucky to have finished off a crib for my two new grandchildren born just before the accident. A picture of the finished product is attached. For those interested in some details, it was from a Rockler plan and is convertible to a youth bed and a full-size bed. It is made of maple finished in satin polyurethane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Beautiful crib, Jerry!

Man, sorry to hear about that accident! Glad you escaped more serious injuries, and hopefully Lowe's will learn a lesson from this mistake.

Sue........

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Beautiful crib Jerry!
    I hope you have talked to a lawyer, that type of accident is not acceptable!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

So sorry about your accident and the crib looks great! And, I second what Peter said. Get an attorney and work toward a very significant settlement for pain and suffering. Remember, while you may feel better now a hand injury like what you had may be a problem for the rest of your life. Besides, if you don't need the $$$ you can always put it away for the occupant of that crib...

Jerry

I am sorry to hear about your injuries but be adviced that in my oppinion HD isn't all that safer in reguards to to the forklifts. there was an incident at HD in which a young guy opperating a forklift nearly ran over my niece by hair. at the time she was about 5 years old.

Nice work, Jerry and glad you're OK..Bad when its not safe to even go shopping...Take care
    Jerry

Nice job on the Crib, Jerry.

How's it feel to be "THE ONLY CREEKER" in a position to Negotiate "FREE SHOPPING" @ LOWES, for the rest of your life?
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    The crib looks great. Sorry to hear about your injury, I know how hard it is not have your thumb to use. I took the tip off my thumb with a meat slicer and was out off the loop for a month. But on the other hand tell them you want free shopping for life.

very nice crib..

Hmmmm I thought that this place was called Saw Mill Creek, a place where wood workers talked about wood working topics. But it seems that 50% of the comments seem to be more concerned about lawsuits than wood working. That is too bad IMO.

best wishes on a full recovery

Lou

Wow, glad you weren't to seriously injured! I bet that was scarey seeing that come at you. Great job on the crib!!
    Corey

Very nice crib.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like the circumstances of your injury are that uncommon. A friend of ours was injured in a Lowes incident as well. At least they were very quick to pay her medical bills. Based on my experience, they do not appear to take safety as seriously as the numerous manufacturing facilities I have visited despite the fact that they are working in direct contact with the public.

Beautiful job on the crib, Jerry! That one is sure to make it to "Family Heirloom" status! Hope you heal quickly and completely. Trust me, I know what it feels like to have no use of a thumb for an extended period of time! No fun!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Blog Entries
    Jerry, beautiful work. I know that's one that will get handed down with pride. Heal quickly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice crib. I hope to NEED to build one or two in a couple years (no rush there ). Right now our four legged grand-daughter is plenty.

Glad you're ok. Hope the healing is completed soon.

Yeah, that free shopping for life sounds pretty good. Can you make it forever and put me in your will?
    Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.