Thread: Difference between floetrol and xim's latex x-tender?

Difference between floetrol and xim's latex x-tender?

I want to apply some mixwax polycrilic while minimizing brush marks. I was thinking of adding a extender. What is the difference between floetrol and xim's latex x-tender? Can they be used with water-based poly? The latex x-tender says it can be used with "latex varnishes" and ' water-borner clear coating". Does it mean it will work with water-based poly (polycrylic)? Thanks

Polycrylic is a "waterborne clear coating". Water-based, in a strict definition of the term means that water is the solvent, which is basically not true of any finishes out there today. When water is the solvent, the finish can be redissolved with water after the finish dries (think kids' watercolors here). That's why you're much more likely to see the term "waterborne".

The trick to reducing brush marks with virtually ANY finish is not in additives or thinning, though those can sometimes help. The biggest culprit in brush marks is among the following: over-brushing ("working" the finish too much with the brush--flow it on, get it where you want it, tip it off--3 strokes), too thin of a coat (thin coats can dry before they have a chance to self-level), and a bad finishing environment (excessive heat and/or very low humidity).

Addy protocol: pro painter
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Wink Plus......

Jason sez....
    The trick to reducing brush marks with virtually ANY finish is not in additives or thinning, though those can sometimes help. The biggest culprit in brush marks is among the following: over-brushing ("working" the finish too much with the brush--flow it on, get it where you want it, tip it off--3 strokes), too thin of a coat (thin coats can dry before they have a chance to self-level), and a bad finishing environment (excessive heat and/or very low humidity).

Addy protocol: pro painter[/QUOTE]
    ...brushing waterbase paints on large surfaces is #%^ near impossible to do without brushstrokes. Well, not nearly, it is impossible.
    Jason's trick is to down a half bottle of JD after a job. Both he and the paint level out
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    ...brushing waterbase paints on large surfaces is #%^ near impossible to do without brushstrokes. Well, not nearly, it is impossible.
    Jason's trick is to down a half bottle of JD after a job. Both he and the paint level out
    You need to match the size of the brush to the area to be brushed out. At some point, then I start breaking out the 4" or 9" soft-woved rollers.

It's been a while since I've had any JD. Most of the time it's beer, but in the winter I occasionally like the Maker to put his Mark on me...

Btw, Phil, I saw your b-day counter went up by one a few days (weeks?) ago. Happy belated.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Thanks Jason....

One year closer to the inevitable. I'm only goin' to admit this to you, so everybody else quit readin'. As I have stated many times before, I'll take alkyd over interior latex enamel any day. However, if I did this for a living, I'd cheat a whole lot. I have been remodeling a house, and my own, and there is a lot of cabinet carcasses to paint. The fumes can overwhelm you if your not careful. Damned if I'd want to wear a mask in 90 degree weather. Each to his own. Later, Jason
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain