Thread: Value of a used machine?

Value of a used machine?

If someone purchased a Hermes Laser Engraver, model unknown at this time, in 2000 and paid ca. $40,000 for it what would it be worth today? I has been used in a business setting, at this time I don't know how much use. How rapidly does this kind of equipment depriciate in value? I am just looking for some kind of number that is reasonable so if the day comes they offer to sell it I will have a number to compair it to.

Value of a used machine?

I sugest you check E-Bay and do some googling for used machines. Also check Epilog and other dealer sites that sell used. I've seen used ones for sale and find that like cars, they take a major dip initially, when they become used, but then hold their value very well probably because there are not all that many available. As I recall Hermes includes their own software which should make it worth more too. If you know the wattage you can compare to other used ones by other manufacturers.

Not knowing the hours on it makes it hard. At the very least I'd see how much it would cost to replace the tube, and deduct that from the original price, then maybe 10% for the first year and 5% per year after that?

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I looked around for a while before buying a new unit. Try:

http://www.usedlasers.com/component/...page/Itemid,1/

They will likely not have what you're looking for, but may help you determine a realistic value, and some bargaining points for negotiating a price. As Joe said, make sure a new (replacement) tube can be gotten, and definately make sure that everything else can be repaired/replaced such as servos/stepper motors, lenses, circuit boards, etc.

It's no bargain if it runs for a year, then can't be fixed.

Mitch
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC