Page 7 of 83 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Birth of a shop

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Marty,

It's not a matter of the pier spacing, it's the type of beam that you'd have. When you have a complex beam with multiple support points, the sections of a beam on either side of a section stiffen it.
    ... I'm just the anal type who would have made the installation overly complicated just so I could make it as strong/stiff as possible.

Rob
    Rob,

I'm the same type, which is why I had already asked the engineer if I needed to overlap them as you explain. I totally understand and agree with your logic. But he said it wasn't necessary. And boy am I glad he did. I'm having a heck of a time doing it the simple way!!!

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Marty - It's really cool to see the shop built. If I were closer I'd love to help. Keep the pictures coming.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. If we hadn't moved to Georgia, you could have come over and helped. I worked in Herndon for over 10 years before moving south. I lived out in Warrenton, since I couldn't take the crowds and traffic in Herndon!

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    rob, if it proves to be a problem sandwiching the joint between two pieces of 1/4" plate 4-5 feet long and through bolted is easy to retrofit...02 tod
    Tod,

Exactly! Although I seriously doubt I'll have any problems. I'll keep this solution in my back pocket...just in case...

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Hey Marty, substitute the word 'Margaret' for 'Denise' and you have exactly my background and situation. And, I hope that you are as happy about your situation as I am about mine.
    Well Frank,

When I first quit the software world, I was truly enjoying things. Denise bought me a small jon boat and I'd go fishing every day while we waited to sell my house.

But as soon as we sold the house and moved, things took a turn. It was a SHARP turn, as evidenced by what you're watching.

I long for those lazy days of fishing every day, especially since my boat sits next to the house under a cover. But I'm really liking the process I'm involved in. It's TOUGH work, but I'm sure the fruits will be well worth the labor!

Breaks over, back to the LVLs for me...
    - Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Jay
    Have you talked with "todays" teenagers lately??
    You'll learn that you should have paid an adult who knew at least something of what your wanting done, and you'll learn that your just an old man who doesn't know anything.... but they keep asking for your help and opinion????

Oh, and I'm not even retired>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Ted,

The youngun's around here are still the old fashioned, polite, hard working type. (I'm still not used to being called 'sir' by anyone under 40!)

But I'm not getting any takers on the offer of a summer job, so I guess I'll just keep plugging away alone. I guess it's just too hot for them, and they have an idea how hard the work is.

At least this way, I have no one to blame for screw ups but myself!

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Ok...I see a shiny new New Holland with forks on it lifting the beams. (good idea) And a nice blue Ford in the previous pics. Too bad the NH wasn't available when the stone was getting thrown about...should be a bucket lying around that fits that quick-attach!

Good progress, Mary! That's gonna be an outstanding shop!
    Hey Jim,

I was just going back reviewing my posts when I noticed something about your post here.

Listen, I may have hair past my butt...but I'm no MARY!!!

And now I have to explain to Denise that there wasn't any MARY here while she was away for the week. Thanks Jim!

I just couldn't resist.....
    - MarTy

Ooops! Fat fingered it! (Sorry......) And my hair is only past my shoulders. I should know better and proofread!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-07-2006 at 4:22 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Trouble in Paradise...

Well, I wasn't going to post until I had the remainder of the triple and double beams in place, but...it's time for me to ask for assistance from all the expertise of the creek. Please read on...

Here's where I am. I got the two rows of triple beams assembled and in place. I was checking as I was going and I found that they are DEAD ON LEVEL, which is quite a pleasant surprise.

Before I started on the two outside rows of double beams, I put an I-Joist in place to see if there were any adjustments needed. Again, a pleasant surprise to see that it was also level:

Attachment 40388 Attachment 40389

Here's where things got ugly. Since I need to post four more pictures, I'm going to continue this is another post...stayed tuned...
    Last edited by Marty Walsh; 11-30-2006 at 7:45 PM.

Trouble continued...

Ok, so here's the problem. The rows are level, and end to end they're level. But, I screwed up on the height of two complete rows. (At least I was consistant!)

(By the way, I'm only using the I-Joist as a reference. There's going to be a double LVL beam running the length on both sides, with the I-Joist in hangers along the beam. Just wanted to make that clear before someone comments...)

Here are the four supports of the I-Joist you see in place in the previous picture:

Pier farthest to my right:
    Attachment 40393

It sits nicely flat on the pier pad. No problem, right? Keep reading...

Pier second from the right:
    Attachment 40394

As you can see, it sits 1/2" too high. That's a piece of 1x material I'm holding next to it for reference. Keep reading, it gets worse...

Pier three from the right:
    Attachment 40395

Hmm, it's sitting very nicely flat on the pad. Hmmm...keep reading...

Pier farthest to my left:
    Attachment 40396

This one I don't understand. It's almost a full 2x (1 1/2") off!!! I put a piece of scrap 2x under it, but it ever so slightly throws the joist out of level, (too high).

I remember reading in Franks post where he had the piers contracted out, and yet had to notch his beams to fit the piers since his piers were also out of whack slightly. His weren't as out as mine, but then again, I did this to myself. I don't have a contractor to blame.

So, here's my thought/question. Would it be alright to "shim" the two rows that are short? The left most column can be done if I were to drag my planer out and take maybe an 1/8" off some 2x material. I'm not all that worried about that one, (should I be?). But that one second from the right is only off 1/2". I'm worried if I plane 1x material down, the shim won't have much meat and might not serve its purpose.

Am I totally off base thinking I can shim these beasts? The thought of having to notch them all makes me reach over and take a heavy gulp of the cocktail I just made myself...

What other creative solutions would anyone care to share?

See, and you thought this was going to be a one way dialogue with me showing you what I've been doing. Time to participate fellow creekers...

- Marty -
    Last edited by Marty Walsh; 11-30-2006 at 7:45 PM.

I'd say you done good pouring all those piers as close as you have them....no way could I have gotten them that close! I "would think" that shimming is normal and as long as you can securely anchor everything to the piers...but I'm guessing about this. Oh, and you really cannot notch the I-beams and doing the same to the LVLs would be a pain in the butt! If you can shim...shim.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks likeno choice but to shim. Use treated material.
    Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I'd say you done good pouring all those piers as close as you have them....no way could I have gotten them that close! I "would think" that shimming is normal and as long as you can securely anchor everything to the piers...but I'm guessing about this.
    Jim,

Thanks...I'm not all that upset with myself, given the sheer size of what I'm doing. I've never tried anything CLOSE to this big before. It's one thing to chuck a few posts in the ground for a deck or an addition. But having to get the height and left and right positioning dead on was a challenge for sure. A challenge I "almost" got correct.

I figured shimming was normal/acceptable too. And of course I'd use pressure treated stuff just like the pads.

I know I can't touch the I-Joists. I thought about notching the beams, but what a nightmare that would be!!!

- Marty -
    Last edited by Marty Walsh; 06-07-2006 at 7:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Looks likeno choice but to shim. Use treated material.
    Bummer
    Steve,

The alternative is to notch the beams that are sitting correctly so they sit lower. But, that's a WHOLE LOT more work, and it would mean having to move those monsters again!

- Marty -

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh
    Steve,

The alternative is to notch the beams that are sitting correctly so they sit lower. But, that's a WHOLE LOT more work, and it would mean having to move those monsters again!

- Marty -
    No. I wouldn't notch the others. You have just a few to shim.

Things happen. I know its disheartening when those things happen, but this isn't a perfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    No. I wouldn't notch the others. You have just a few to shim.

Things happen. I know its disheartening when those things happen, but this isn't a perfect world.
    Well, a few is a relative term. I'd have to shim two entire rows of piers. Seven would get the planed 2x material, the other seven the planed 1x material.

I EXPECT things to happen. I'm not a contractor and have never attempted anything like this. I'm actually quite pleased with the way things are going. As I said above, I put the I-Joist in place to "see what adjustments might be necessary". I expected issues...and I found them...

Oh well...I guess I try to get my planer out of storage for five minutes of work!

I really can't think of any alternative. But then again, that's why I'm throwing the question to the creek...

- Marty -