Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Popular Woodworking****Update****

Unhappy Disappointed in Popular Woodworking****Update****

Update: Recieved email from Bob Lang (Popular Woodworking Mag editorial staff) this morning. He apologized for the difficulty I was having and offered the 2 for 1 deal. I think that is great and certainly looking forward to getting my 1st issue. I know there are mixed reviews of the different magazines out there, but I do believe that alot depends on what you want to make and especially on your skill level. I am currently receiving Wood, Workbench, Shopnotes, Woodsmith and now should be getting Popular Woodworking. I enjoy reading all the mags. Not crazy about duplicate stories, but what can you do. I will be letting Workbench expire, because too much of it pertains to large projects (home improvement) which are beyond my physical (disabled) abilities.
    Anyway, thank you Bob, Chris and Steve.

Several months back (around the end of August I think), son's girlfriend wanted to order me a mag subscripition. Asked me what I wanted. I suggested Popular Woodworking, which she ordered. After several months of not recieving any mags, I checked with them. They said any gift orders after such and such date are considered Holiday orders and don't start till the new year. Then I asked how long the sub was for. They said 1 year. I asked how come it is not buy 1 year get 1 year free like their regular orders. They gave me some BS about doing it for regular customers but that gift orders were different.
    Personally, I think this is a bunch of hogwash. If I ordered myself I would get 2 years for the same price as she is paying for 1 year.
    Maybe I should just cancel and order from a more accommodating publisher??
    Last edited by Lori Kleinberg; 12-01-2006 at 11:58 AM. Reason: ****Update****
    Lori K

Might not be the magazine, but the company selling the subscription.

Maybe sent PW a email and ask them?
    But ya, if I were you I'd cancel the order then reorder with the 2 fer 1 deal if PW doesn't respond in a manner your happy with.

Al

I dumped them for various reasons. But mostly because their content seems to duplicate many other mags that we read, Lori. And they became really annoying with trying to get us to renew.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Blog Entries
    I've never sub'd to PW but the "rules" may be those of the distributer. You may want to cancel the order and go directly to the publisher and get the deal. The mags we enjoy vary with where we are in our pursuit of sawdust. I'm a newbie and find Shopnotes and Woodsmith really useful as they cater to folks looking for easier projects and include shop cabinets, jigs etc. That is not to say that others don't. I really like FWW but some of the projects are way beyond me and I have to select based on $$$ of course. I at least would reject the current deal as it seems improper. Hope it works out for you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As far as I know, this went thru the Popular woodworking web site, that was the address (web) I gave her and that is how I contacted them. The last time I went to renew Shopnotes, there were all sorts of different prices between web site, magazine and renewal notices. When I contacted them, I got the lowest price they had available. To me that is how you run a company.
    Lori K

Lori, you've stumbled upon the "interesting" way that virtually all the magazines market subscriptions...PW is not unique in any way on this one!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sons girlfriend?

Your son's girlfriend bought you a subscription? I can't get my son to get me one. Tell your son to marry that girl.

Similar Experience

I had gotten my renewal last year, as a subscriber, that offered not a 2 for 1 for myself, but buy one, get a free gift subscription. I had planned on renewing for myself anyway, so I though I'd take the offer, so I gave it to my boss .

It was nearly 6 months before he saw his first issue. Needless to say, I haven't renewed this year.

- John

What you are experiencing is nothing new to magazines. They all do it. Same as buying milk at the store. Have a coupon; you get it less than the guy behind you. Think we all pay the same price for that new car than the next guy.

One thing I do if I have a problem is not fool around and go to the source directly. In this months issue of Popular Woodworking on the first page they say “We want to know what you think of our magazine” they give the e-mail address and direct phone number to everyone. So here you go

Christopher Schwarz, Editor
    513-531-2690 ext 1407
    Chris.Schwarz@fwpubs.com

Don’t be afraid to call and let him know how you feel. Popular Woodworking is here in Cincinnati and I have been to the shop a couple of times. Very friendly people to talk to. Kinda funny. It is in the big plush office building. The kind of building a stock broker would be in or something. At the end of the hall is a woodworking shop.

email him a link to this thread

I'm sorry to hear you've had issues. I get about 4 or 5 woodworking magazines and I think PW is my favorite. I just joined FineWoodworking.com and am really enamoured as well.

I think PW does a great job of showing both hand tool and power tool articles.

Michael

Lori, I went through almost the same thing with them a little while back. I ordered and paid for two years. They cashed my check for one year, blamed the bank (funny how the bank processed it for exactly half) and then sent me a bill for the second year. In the meantime, I discovered the internet deal where it was two for one. Don't settle for the first drone on the phone. Demand a supervisor (politely of course! ) and you should get satisfaction.

Unfortunately, the editorial staff have little to do and little influence on the morons in marketing, so I think you will be wasting time writing Mr. Schwarz. Rant and rave to customer service, and they should give you the twofer deal. I have already resolved to let mine lapse and buy it off the newstand after that. It is a great magazine, but I really hate having to deal with the idiots who actually sell the thing.

Bill

I cancelled my script too. Just not impressed with the content.
    Jim
    Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

I was a charter member or subscriber of Wood Magazine. I canceled my subscription two months ago as I feel that the current editor and staff have ruioned the magazine.
    For three weeks I received approximately three calls a week from a company in Atlanta wanting me to renue my subscription. As a result of this harrasment, I will never subscribe again to the magazine.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"