Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold or Fools Gold?

Gold or Fools Gold?

I was talking to Ernie today about some wood that is on my way to work. I pass by it all the time and it is on a lot that has a building for sale or lease. I have thought about calling the owner and see if he would like someone to move it at no cost to him. Problem is it is Huge. Much bigger than my 14" chain saw will be able to do in a weekend and then there is transportation. If cut up it would probably be about three pickup loads. I donlt even know if it is worth the trouble. I don't even know what it is. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

What's the flavor and how long has it been sitting there in the hot Texas sun?
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    What's the flavor and how long has it been sitting there in the hot Texas sun?
    It really hasn't been all that hot here but I suppose about a month and a half that I know of. Not sure what you mean by flavor. There looks to be some rot in one of the sections, probably why they took it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley
    ....Not sure what you mean by flavor. .....
    Umm. Is it pistachhio, cookies and cream, oak, mint chocolate chip, or mesquite.
    Only the Blue Roads

flavor = what kind of wood is it?

Just being free is not always a bargain.
    Some woods though are a gold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley
    Much bigger than my 14" chain saw will be able to do ...Any thoughts?
    Check out the cost of renting a big saw at your local tool rental place. That is what I am doing when the big oak in the neighborhood park comes down this summer. It will cost me $100 for the weekend with an 880 and 42" bar but a 5' diamter tree covered in burls will make it well worth the money

also you could be honest and ask if you can cut up some chunks and haul it away. And then do a bit at a time as you saw, back and truck will allow for. The problem with 3 truckloads of wood is you will be most likely really sore after the first one, if you are doing it by yourself. You might have to be creative in how you cut some pieces with a 14" saw but I will tell you a 14" saw can be used to take apart some pretty good sized logs. I managed an 8ft length of 5ft diamter sycamore with a nothing more than a 14" stihl. (and yes it did take an entire summer of carrying the saw 1 mile into the woods and hauling out 8 to 12" chunks a piece at a time)
    Last edited by Brad Hart; 05-20-2006 at 6:39 PM.
    I Am The Other Guy in Ohio Named Hart.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hart
    Check out the cost of renting a big saw at your local tool rental place. That is what I am doing when the big oak in the neighborhood park comes down this summer. It will cost me $100 for the weekend with an 880 and 42" bar but a 5' diamter tree covered in burls will make it well worth the money

also you could be honest and ask if you can cut up some chunks and haul it away. And then do a bit at a time as you saw, back and truck will allow for. The problem with 3 truckloads of wood is you will be most likely really sore after the first one, if you are doing it by yourself. You might have to be creative in how you cut some pieces with a 14" saw but I will tell you a 14" saw can be used to take apart some pretty good sized logs. I managed an 8ft length of 5ft diamter sycamore with a nothing more than a 14" stihl. (and yes it did take an entire summer of carrying the saw 1 mile into the woods and hauling out 8 to 12" chunks a piece at a time)
    Actually I already asked Ernie to look at it and determine if he wants in should we be able to get the go ahead. I got to meet him face to face today and we shared some wood with each other. I was really excited to meet my first Creeker and he is a great guy! I'm looking forward to meeting with him again and also meeting other Creekers.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Umm. Is it pistachhio, cookies and cream, oak, mint chocolate chip, or mesquite.
    Almost sure it isn't mesquite as we rarely see one around here. Could be oak but maybe elm. I just don't know. So I guess I'd have to say Rocky Road right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Hart

So Brad, having any luck finding that hat.................?

I agree; you do not need to take it all. It might be best to take a partial load and chuck a piece up before his disposal problem becomes yours.

Chris, it looks like a water oak to me but of course it's always a little hard to tell without greenery. If you want, we can figure out a time to go cut in to it. If it is water oak, I'll cut enough to load YOU up.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    Chris, it looks like a water oak to me but of course it's always a little hard to tell without greenery. If you want, we can figure out a time to go cut in to it. If it is water oak, I'll cut enough to load YOU up.

Ernie
    I've got a call into the guy now but I haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know what I hear. Thanks

Knowing where you live, there's a good chance it is some variety of oak. Personally I wouldn''t bother unless you don't have any other options for free wood.

Gold or Fools Gold?
    Wont really know for sure until you & Ernie waste a couple hours &
    a few gallons of gas cutting it up! If it's really treasure, don't forget
    I live in Texas & will be in Houston on The 8th of June .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones III
    Knowing where you live, there's a good chance it is some variety of oak. Personally I wouldn''t bother unless you don't have any other options for free wood.
    I've heard that before. Do people not like to turn oak? Too new to know.