Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Purchasing new cabinet saw 3hp vs. 5hp?

Maybe i'm just power hungry. i think for an extra $200 the 5 HP is worth it. there have been many times when i was dimansionong big (hard) wood that i wished i had the extra HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm
    Our pattern shop had an 18" tablesaw with 15HP. If you're looking for overkill that''ll do it!
    Uhhh Uhhhh Uhhhh.....MORE POWER!

Now thats a table saw! What model and features. Tell us tell us tell us.... Was it old iron?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff
    Me neither, I can use a 3/4" shoulder plane to do the same thing, and while it takes a little longer, it's much quieter and accomplishes the same thing. but in regards to the motor on the TS, I don't see how it would hurt to have more HP. And no, I don't see more HP as being more dangerous, I see it as being safer as it will be able to handle a faster feed. If you're feeding too fast on a lower HP motor, that's the danger, not the other way around.

Any of them will cut fingers and hands off, even a 1 1/2 HP contractors saw motor will do that, and pushing 12/4 stock into a 1 1/2 HP blade takes some patience, IME.
    I would like to see your shoulder plane excavate a dado groove in say 3/4 inch thick baltic birch or melamine covered MDF?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

5 hp..is nice..but it also adds another 55 pounds on the trunnions...a 3 horsepower weighs in at 50 pounds compared to the 5 horse's 106....

For hobby use and even heavy duty home use..you will never have the need for a 5 horse motor....unless you like bragging to friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    I would like to see your shoulder plane excavate a dado groove in say 3/4 inch thick baltic birch or melamine covered MDF?
    I would like to see where I was interested in building with laminates to the point that I would invest in a large machine to do so...

I don't plan to use much ply at all, but even so...I could cut a dado many ways in a piece of ply, how about a stair saw? How about a backsaw with a guide (a.k.a., a straight edge)?

Solid wood cuts fine with hand plane, for me anyway...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Canaris
    For hobby use and even heavy duty home use..you will never have the need for a 5 horse motor....unless you like bragging to friends...
    Mike, looks like you and i are Odd Men Out !

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale
    Mike, looks like you and i are Odd Men Out !

Brian
    Brian,

Don't be too sure. I would be willing to bet that a huge majority of the 10" tablesaws are 3 HP that are being sold today. The only reason that I am leary, like Tyler said, is that I was burnt early on with an underpowered machine so I may now be overly careful when I consider my power needs for the future. However, you will notice that I did go with the 3 HP even though I still wonder if I did the right thing or not. Hopefully I did.

Allen

Blog Entries
    I am a total proponent of high-tech and elegant alternatives to raw power but, I find in my varied interests two areas stand apart. Stereos and tools deserve RAW HORSEPOWER!!!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely
    #8 awg and 40 amp breaker minimum.
    Most call for a 30 amp #10 for a 5 hp motor. My 5 hp pulls 26A under full load cutting ie. 2 2/3 in maple.
    David Mueller

Knowledge gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.

Save the $200 and put that towards a very decent bandsaw. I use to have fun ripping 2" thick cherry on a Powermatic 66. Now I forgo the pucker factor and use the bandsaw (with a 1" Lennox carbide blade) when I want to rip thick stock. A good bandsaw, well setup can rip thick stock as well as a tablesaw.