Thread: Newbie to Oil based Cleanup/Storage

Newbie to Oil based Cleanup/Storage

I haven't used oil based stain since I have started woodworking a year ago, only have done 6-7 projects when time allows. I just finished a little shelf and I am going to use an oil based stain then a water based polyurethne to coat it.

Question is, how to safely clean and store the brush and rags I use to apply and wipe of the stain. The stain says to clean the brush in mineral spirits which is fine, but what do I do with the spirits after I have cleaned the brush, can they stay in a jar with a lid or just thrown out? What about the rag, lay it outside to dry, wont it get hard once dry and I just have to throw it away.

Thanks for any tips and suggestions

The mineral spirits can stay in a closed jar. Pigment will settle out, you can pour that off to recycle the mineral spirits, creating a stair step of first gross washing up to final clear rinse. Probably the best solution for thinner you want to discard is to let it evaporate and then pitch the dry container. Pouring into sewers or septic tanks is a no-no. If your town has an annual (or some interval) hazardous waste collection you could save it for that.

Then you have to store the brush. Before putting it away, it should be washed with soap and water to remove all the oiliness from the solvents. Wrap in its original container, or in paper so the bristles dry straight.

An alternative to washing and drying the brush is to store them so they hang with the ferrule about half covered with diesel fuel or kerosene. This is what is recommended by Epifanes, a maker of fine varnish, and seller of fine varnish brushes. Before use, rinse out the kerosene with mineral spirits. They even sell a container for this, but a 5 gallon can, with a wire rack to suspend the brushes in the solvent, would work OK I suspect. I haven't used this method, but the source is good, so I pass it on. If anyone actually uses this I'd be interested in feedback.

Rags are expendable. Dry flat, and discard when fully dry.

I'd stay away from glass....

when storing flamable liquids. Fire marshall will shut me down. And don't forget the fine print on your home owners policy. You can't be too careful.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain