Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver lathe restoration pics

Oliver lathe restoration pics

In my last post about the Oliver 159 lathe I put some pictures of it with some pinstripes and chrome. My wife looked at the pictures and said "Hunny the lathe looks better than your pictures, I think you should take some better ones." Since I learned long ago not to argue with her since she is usually right, I thought I'd post some better pics plus an update of todays accomplishments.

This morning I took off the last of the masking tape and started permanently attaching the parts and pieces. Creeker and friend Larry Merlau stopped by to see what I've been up to and commented about how I'd really fell off the deep end......I told him I'd really like to take a chrome ratchet handle and use it for the variable speed indicator. He walked over to my 15" Delta planer and removed the chrome handle and it was a perfect fit. I guess I better get another replacement ordered.

I also painted the re-furbished motor in chrome and added some pinstripes to the tool rests. Also I had to customize the pulley guard with some chrome lettering. All that is left that I want to do is get the switches fixed to a permanent control box mounted behind the motor and when that is done it will be my final update and time to use this puppy! My son Steve Jr. will be in charge of wiring up the switches and control box but with him working 50 + hours each week I am at his mercy about getting that part finished.

I had a lot of fun with this restoration, it was quick, easy and very rewarding. I also felt like you all from Sawmill Creek were right there with me...sounds funny but I thought of each of your comments about my previous posts. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have got to be kidding!

That is unbelieveable! I can't wait to see it. You have out done yourself!

Pete
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Ashman, that is just fantastic, I love it! It turned out just great Steve. Congrats and now it is time to enjoy it.

corey

Steve.........it's been a ball watching it from 2000 miles away! I can see why you put flames on it..........IT'S HOT!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Doooooooooood!!! Way cool! Heck, had I known how close that Olly Green was to Packer Green, I'd have exnayed the poll to begin with! (Now you just need to sneak in some Packer Yellow stripes or sumfin'!!! ) Great job, Steve. This was a blast and I wasn't even there for the fun parts!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Fantastic!

Steve.....

You are a riot man That is one kewl lathe...... How about I send you mine for a face lift.

WOW, The BIG GREEN BEAST!! Cool!!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Great Job Steve !
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

LOL! You really breathed some new life into that puppy, and I don't mean in the mechanical sense! (Mechanically, I'm sure it would have been wonderful even with a Krylon finish... ) Nice job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys....One thing is for certain you are looking at it in it's best condition. I've learned a long time ago when restoring and showing my old Chevelle SS that any piece of machinery is meant to be used. I never trailered my Chevelle anywhere, I hated seeing those trailer queens show up at the shows......I drove it in rain, heavy traffic, dirt roads...I built it to drive it and have fun.

Same goes with this lathe, it IS going to get dirty, rusty, and used....and I wouldn't have it any other way....it's about time to get it dirty

Hey Steve that is one beautiful job. That lathe is awesome looking. Yep it is time to make some chips fly. Can't wait to see what ya turn on the puppy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You'll need to send all the wood to me. That lathe is to hot to put the wood on it would just burn it up. Fantastic I don't think I've ever seen such a hot lathe.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Outstanding Steve.

Ernie

Awesome job!!! That is GREAT!! Thanks for sharing the restore job, can't wait to see some GREEN wood spinning.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns