Thread: Nickel Plated Polycarbonate

Question Nickel Plated Polycarbonate

One of my customers wanted to know if we can laser mark through a nickel plating on polycarbonate. He says it's not actual metal, just a coating similar to the fake chrome on plastic in cars. Anyone tried it? I told him to bring in a sample.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Probably the same stuff they use to make mirrored acrylic. But I thought engraving from the "front" (reflective) side of that was supposed to be a no-no because of the beam bouncing back up into the works. (Of course I was also under the impression that polycarbonate didn't engrave/cut all that well with the laser anyway, so what do I know?)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Nickel Plated Polycarbonate

Lee,

I have cut polycarbonate before, it works OK. This is just rastor though, it's some electronic part. You definitely can't laser the front of the mirror acrylic, I have a couple of etch marks on the inside of my glass door to prove it. For this stuff as shiny as it is I think it might work if it was transfer taped, and if the first pass will go deep enough to remove the nickel. I'll find out if he does bring in a sample. I'll try just to rastor a
    tiny period (.) first.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Shiny side up!

You sure can lase on the shiny side, just treat it like glass and cover it with damp paper first or I suppose even the laser tape or transfer tape. I think that the coating that they use on the Polycarbonate is an enamel type. It should raster fine, just be careful of flames! Hehehe
    Michael

Nighthawk Arts

Question Laser Anodized Mirrored Aluminum

After reading the warnings on laseing reflective materials, has anyone worked with LAMA materials? I picked up a couple sample materials at a Trade Show and lased them without thinking about the reflectivity issue.
    I only did three small pieces, and they came out fine - but I wonder if they should have been masked prior to laseing. Johnson Plastics (LAMA Distributor) gave no indication that masking was required or suggested, but I'm still not sure. Anyone have any expierience witth this stuff?

Nickel Plated Polycarbonate

I'd cover it to be safe, but if you were watching and there was no beam hitting the inside of the top you must have been OK. If the laser is able to go thru the reflecting coating in the first pass you should be safe. The trouble is with mirror (glass or acrylic) where the beam goes into it but the reflectivity is still there since it's on the bottom surface.

Sammamish, WA