Thread: Gel wipe on poly or USL?

Question Gel wipe on poly or USL?

Don't like much completing the grandfather clock project I've been on for the past couple of weeks, so I figured I'd best be making up my feeble mind on a finishing schedule. The clock is made of cherry and I would like for it to coordinate with some cherry cabinetry that will be in the same room. These have been there several years and have darkened over time so I want to try and advance the patina's natural darkening process so...... after rambling on here is the schedule I have in mind.
    • After completion of woodwork finish sand.
    • Apply liberal coat of BLO let soak for 30 min and wipe clear, rubbing out seepage as required.
    • Place the clock in the sun for 3/4 days to let it get a "tan" and artificially develop a darkened patina.
    • Spray 2-3 coats of 1.5# cut de-waxed garnet shellac, lightly buffing out surface imperfections with 0000 synthetic wool pad between coats.
    • Rub on several coats of Bartley Gel Poly (glossy)... OR ... spray several coats of Target Coatings USL water based lacquer (glossy)?
    • Allow to cure for 7 days, buff with 0000 to desired satin sheen.
    I am really undecided on whether to use the wipe on or USL, I've had real good luck with both (I used the wipe on to finish a walnut clock a few years ago and it came out real well) but I really like the USL but don't know if it would be the right finish on a clock.

Sorry for rambling on but I haven't had much experience with cherry and trying to darken it (I don't really want to use a stain), any and all suggestions/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
    David

That seems like a good way to get the suntan, and garnet shellac is good on cherry. Frankly, don't see much reason not to stop there. Shellac should be plenty protective for a clock. It rubs out well to whatever sheen you want.

I couldn't comment on the finishing schedule. However, after reading the tutorial on the Target Coatings web site a couple weeks ago, I believe it said not to use steel wool if you're using any water based coatings because of potential rust problems. So if you go with the USL, I guess you could replace the 0000 with a really fine sand paper.

Just a thought. I could very well be wrong. You may want to check that tutorial out before you apply any Target Coatings products. Good luck with the finish!

Tim

Correct in not using steel wool however synthetic steel wool A.K.A. scotchbrite is fine.

Also I agree that shellac should be plenty for a clock. I would most likely shoot on USL myself after a thin #1 cut shellac as a sealcoat.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"