Thread: How do you seal a caulking tube?

Unhappy How do you seal a caulking tube?

When ever I use a caulking tube I rarely use all of the material in it and when I want to use it again sometime later it has become hard and I have to throw the tube away. Is there any way to seal it so you can use it later? TIA

Dave

Duct/Duck Tape

Take a piece about 2" long, and place the nozzle end in the center, both width and length, of the sticky side. Then just fold the tape down the long sides of the nozzle. The two sticky sides will come together. Then go back and press the tape closely around the entire nozzle.

Works for me.
    Best Regards, Ken

Hi David,

I use a couple of methods. One is to use the water proof wire nuts. Just screw then on the end and they seal up tight. Recently I bought some little , well for lack of vocabulary little condoms, and they seem to work pretty well. I think it was Lee Valley that had them.

Hope this helps
    Roger

Roger and David...

Ace carries those "condoms" as well.. I use those as well and also on a couple glue bottles i have. They work very well.

Randy

I just use a regular wire nut - seems to work fine.

I'm going to try the wire nut thing, it sounds like a good idea. I just stick a large diameter nail into the plastic nozzle.

My doctor gave me two weeks to live. I hope they’re in August. — Ronnie Shakes
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Dave

a simple solution is to use a 16d penny nail just push it into the open hole and then put some duct tape around the opening. when you need to use it just take the tape off and pull the nail out. That's what I do.
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.

The finger condoms you are referring to are called finger cots I believe, they are medical items. Often one might experience this first hand so to speak during physical or proctal examine.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    The finger condoms you are referring to are called finger cots I believe, they are medical items. Often one might experience this first hand so to speak during physical or proctal examine.

Scott --
    No, finger cots are lighter -- kinda like the tips of disposable latex gloves. These devices for sealing caulking tubes are much thicker material. They work great. I used to use the wrap-it-with-tape method, but the caulk condoms are much much better. They seal longer, they are re-usable, and they are faster. My lumber yard has a jar of 'em at the counter, and sells them for 25 cents apiece. They also sell them in bags of 35.

Jamie

After many years I have come to the conclusion that it is better to just toss them unless you are planning on reuse inside of a day. I have, over the years, tried many different methods and for me none worked after the tube sat for three or four months, much less a couple of years. Now I just wish I could take the same attitude with wood scraps. I just can't let them go.

George

A golf tee works nicely
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

wax ring

I take no credit for this idea, but it works. Buy a toilet wax ring ($1) and push the tip of the calk in it when done . the wax seals it up and so far I have not lost one tube of calk .

Wax ring

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Brown
    I take no credit for this idea, but it works. Buy a toilet wax ring ($1) and push the tip of the calk in it when done . the wax seals it up and so far I have not lost one tube of calk .
    What do you do when you get ready to use the caulk again, let the caulk push the wax out of the nozzel?

Thanks,
    wcturner
    in Hopkinsville, Ky.

"Knowledge Is Power"

"Git R Done"

yep

Quote Originally Posted by W.C. Turner
    What do you do when you get ready to use the caulk again, let the caulk push the wax out of the nozzel?

Thanks,
    wipe it off and test fire it into a trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gleckler
    Roger and David...

Ace carries those "condoms" as well.. I use those as well and also on a couple glue bottles i have. They work very well.

Randy
    Try asking for "finger cots" at your drug store.

Bob