Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turner Interview: Jim Ketron

1. Turner Interview: Jim Ketron

Name: Jim Ketron

DOB: 10/29/72

Physical description (G-rated, please)
    5’-9” tall 230 lbs + and I’m built like a stump.

Location (for how long, previous locations, etc)
    Weber City Va. It’s in Scott Co. and I have lived here all my life.
    No other place I would rather be!

Family information (brag on your spouse, kids, grandkids, dog, etc)
    I have been married to my lovely wife Krista for 5 years we each have 3 children from previous marriages Jarred, Justin, Courtney, Jewell, Lindsey, Kayla, and we have a set of Twin Boy and Girl Babies, Riley and Grace. Yes that’s 8 kids! You don’t know how many times I have to tell people over and over on how many kids we have. So it’s real busy at the Ketron Home! But I manage to get some turning time, not as much as I would like but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Vocation (what do you do for a living, and what have you done
    previously)
    I’m a 2nd Generation Sprinkler Man. I install fire protection systems. That’s all I have ever done.

Equipment Overview (lathe, tools, etc)
    I have several woodworking tools - I will just name the bigger items. PM 3520, Vacuum pump, Jet Mini, Grizzly bansaw, Delta 13 1/2” planer, old Sears 6” jointer, 4 routers, 1 router table, Delta floor drill press, Delta mortiser, C-man TS, C-man RAS, and several hand and smaller tools.

How many lathes have (or do) you own? Tell us about 'em.
    My primary lathe is the PM 3520. And my first lathe and still use it some is a Jet Mini.

How many turning tools do you have?
    I have several turning tools, many I have made myself - here are a few of my homemade ones. My version of the Wolverine jig set up, bowl/hollow form steady, captured hollowing rig, handle from pipe for my P&N gouge.

Vacuum pump, 7 bowl gouges, 4 parting tools, several spindle gouges and standard turning tools, bowl scraper, McNaughton coring rig, Sorby spiraling/texturing tool, 2 Talon chucks, and a bunch of other smaller items.

Tell us about your shop
    I built my shop in July of 04, its 24’ X 20’ its basically a turning shop now all the other tools are used for tables or collecting dust!

Website? If so, what's the url?
    I and some of my friends decided to go in together and do a group website. I think it’s a great idea and keeps the cost down from having one each for ourselves. Most of us have them ready, check it out and give us some feedback on it!
    www.flyingcurls.com

How long turning?
    I have been turning since 4/30/04 - almost 2 years in a week or so.

What got you into turning?
    Looking at all the nice things that were shown on here and then going to the local Woodcraft store during grand opening and seeing some demos. Went home and ordered one that night!

What do you enjoy most about turning?
    Putting a wet blank on the lathe and letting the curls just fly as I watch the piece transform itself into a bowl or hollow form and giving that wood a new life for someone to enjoy.

What is your favorite form that you turn?
    Mmmmmmm that is a tough one - I like turning bowls and hollow forms. But the pieces I like best is the ones that have natural character in them that only the Big Guy can do.

I would have to say natural edge winged bowls is top on the list for now, and hollow forms with natural character in them a very close 2nd

What is your favorite form someone else turns/has turned?
    I have seen some nice work on here and in person from my friends. It would be hard to say which form it would be as I like so many different ones.

What is your favorite wood to work with and why?
    My favorite is free wood! Anything curly!

(editor's note: Jim's favorite wood is really.........gumballs) (inside joke)

Have you met or hung out with any turnin' Creekers? Tell us about it
    I have attended 2 turning BBQs and have meet several Creekers and live close to a few.

Sparky Paessler Lives about 25 miles from me, Dick Parr, Joe Tonich, Big Mike Stafford, Bill Chapman, Ron Meadows, Kevin Gerstenecker, at Dicks BBQ
    Travis Stinson, Mark Cothren, Keith Burns, Dennis Peacock, Rob Bourgeois at Travis BBQ

What is your favorite individual piece that you have turned, and why?
    The Hard Maple natural edge winged bowl

(editor's note: see pic of this bowl below)

What is your favorite piece someone else has turned, and why?
    That would be Travis Stinsons Blue Buckeye hollow form that he made over a year ago amazing that he kept it together!

What do you not turn now that you want to - or plan to - in the future?
    Segmented work, and large platters when I get my outboard stand made.

What brought you to SMC?
    Surfing the web and found it.

Got any nicknames? How'd you get it?
    I have a few, but most call me Jim

Now let's get a little deep... If you were a tree, what tree would you
    be and why?
    If I was a tree think I would want to be a fruit tree like an apple tree.
    I could provide food for people to eat.

Editor's note: the last pic is one I had in my stash, just savin' it for a special occasion like this....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Cothren; 04-28-2006 at 10:32 PM.

2. Jim is one of the other guys on here that I've had the pleasure to meet. Him and his wife, Krista, are good as gold - well, Krista is, anyway...

Jim is a natural when it comes to spinnin' wood. He enjoys his craft and enjoys sharing with and teaching others. He's answered about 1,000 questions for me.... He also built me a couple of tool rests from some materials that he, Dick Parr, and Joe Tonich provided. I use 'em every time I spin a chunk of wood!!!

If you get a chance to meet these folks, don't miss out!
    Last edited by Mark Cothren; 04-28-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Wow, that's some beautiful work.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Jim, I have admired your work, and after reading your interview I understand why. Glad to get to know you better.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Jim............you've only been turning 2 years! I may just sell my stuff because I don't see me being anywhere near as good as you in 2 years!

Nice interview! Glad to get to know a little more about you!

I'm the oldest of a family that had 6 kids! If your family was like ours when I was growing up, I'll bet you need to turn just to try to maintain some sanity!.......As a kid in Wyoming ....I came home from an old coal mine lugging 7 sticks of dynamite .......that had some crystals growing on the outside of the paper coating....

I am always inspired by your turning!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-28-2006 at 10:13 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim at Travis' BBQ and I can attest that he is "one of a kind" and I mean that in a positive way. He is passionate about turning and his craft which we all know he is very good. He is also a great teacher likes to share his knowledge of which he has an abundance. I am proud an honered to call him my friend.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Jim,

I really admire your work and you are an inspiration as a turner.
    On another note, I have 3 boys and that's why I decided to heat my garage/workshop just for peace and quiet. I can't imagine 8 kids but I am sure you do a great job.

Pete
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Jimbo is one of my first and longest internet/forum friends. He has been kind enough to build a steady rest for me, teach me about aspects of turning that I don't know much about (most of them) and serve as a sounding board for ideas. He has a good level head on his shoulder, not much hair though, and he is my buddy. I admire his work as I have been fortunate to see several pieces of it and even more fortunate to have two pieces in my collection. Jim you are far too modest. This is a great guy folks!!!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Nice to meet you Jim. I have never met a Jim that wasn't a great guy. An you wear your hair just like I do! Great interview. Real cute little ones.

Thumbs up

I have to echo what Keith said. Jim is passionate about his work, and it shows! We've spent a lot of time bouncing ideas off each other, swapping wood, tips, tools, etc. I'm proud to know him and call him a friend.

Pleased to meet you Mr. Ketron! Been wondering what was under that
    hat.......Great interview! So is eight enough or are you planning a few
    more?!!

Hey, Jim. While he may have made your head perfect, I'm not so sure about the rest of you. You and I share similar length, beam and displacement specs, so I know what I'm talking about. And eight younguns! Ouch! Bet it's really quiet on Christmas morning!
    Only the Blue Roads

I met Jim and his BETTER HALF..Krista...At Dicks BBQ. Matter of fact, he's the one that gave me some bowl turning techniques so the blank stays on the lathe and intact. VERY patient teacher... , which with me he needed to be. You couldn't meet a nicer guy!
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

Jim: Good to learn a little more about you. Your work is very impressive. It's easy to see what a nice guy you are. Great family!
    Ed

15. By the way guys... that last pic on the right - the one of Jim in "the shirt" is one from my personal collection... was savin' it for a special occasion like this...