Thread: Jet 15" Planer JWP-15CS

Question Jet 15" Planer JWP-15CS

Hello Everyone!

I just recently purchased from a private owner a 'brand new' Jet 10" Left Tilt Cabinet saw and Jet 15" planer. I say brand new because while he had purchased the tools back in 2000, he had never unpacked them. They were still in the original crates, never opened and covered with packing grease. The only thing that I didn't get was the Jet warranty, but at 2/3's the going price on Amazon.

Anyway I have a question about the planer, the JWP-15CS. I am trying to reduce the amount of snipe that I am getting. I have been testing the planer using some maple that I have and am getting about 3" of snipe on the ends of the boards. I have lowered the bed rollers completely and am still getting a very fine amount of snipe on the first 3 inches.

I checked the online manual for the Powermatic Model 15 planner at wmhtoolgroup.com, which is the same model as my Jet but a different color, and they recommend the following.

"TIP: The model 15 Planer has no pressure bar between the cutterhead and the outfeed table roller. To help prevent snipe, you should compensate by adjusting the infeed extension assembly, so that its middle roller just touchs the straight edge."

It sounds like they mean that the roller closest to the table should be lower than a straight edge that is laying across the table and the middle roller? If so then the roller closest to the table would never be used to support the stock.

Is that how you would read that also? Has anyone tried this with either the Jet or Powermatic 15?

Thanks,
    Jim

Gratuitous Bump.

OK, so I didn't post any pictures. Can I get a "Hello Jim"?

Hey Jim, Welcome to the creek!!!!

My 15" Bridgewood planer has infeed and outfeed tables with 3 steel rollers each. I have them adjusted so the inner most roller is just a hair above the rollers that are under the pressure rollers inside the machine. The second roller out is about 1/16" higher and the third is another 1/16" higher. This helps reduce snipe on heavy cuts but to completly get rid of it, my last pass or two are just heavy enough to remove the marks from the groved infeed pressure roller.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Jim,
    I have a Powermatic 15 and what you described is exactly how I have mine set to reduce snipe. Closet roller is slightly lower. This set up helps lift the back edge of the board ever so slightly on entry.

Jim

Brian / Jim,

Thanks for the information. The manual that came with my planer didn't cover the adjustments of the infeed and outfeed rollers very well. I felt that the Powermatic manual had a little bit more information, but you to cleared it up for me.

Thanks again!

Jim

Bridgewood

I have a Bridgewood BW15p planer and a BW12JS joiner. I do not have a manual for either of these, can anyone help me? I also need a part for my planer. Can anyone direct me to a parts distributer since Wilke no longer exists? Thanks so much.

Jim,
    Lower the rollers down out of play, install a 48" X 15" piece of melamine (plastic coated fiber board) in the bed of the planer and attach the melamine to the in and out rollers. Put a coat of paste wax on the melamine and the snipe will be gone. I did my 15" jet planer that way about 7 years ago and never had any problems since. My email is warren59@carolina.rr.com if you want pictures on any othe info.
    Warren