Thread: How do the Jet & Delta Mini Lathes Compare?

How do the Jet & Delta Mini Lathes Compare?

I've been wanting the Delta mini, but now that I see the Jet on sale for $189 I'm not sure I can pass it up.

I don't see any differences between the two in the specs, and they both have optional bed extensions.

What are the differences between the two?

Thanks,

btw, it looks like I can spend my bonus this year on tools, now I just have to wait a week and find out how much that might be.

Andrew!

Without hesitation, I can heartily recommend the Jet Mini lathe to you! That's the machine I have been turning my pens on, and it is a great lathe! The only thing that could be better is if it had variable speed, which I understand those are going for $100 more. Personally, I think it would be worth the extra $100. But that's not to take anything away from the non-VS Jet Mini - it has performed exceptionally well!

Now, is it better than the Delta? Well, maybe. The only noticeable difference between the two is that the hatch for changing belts on the Delta is on the front of the machine, and on the Jet it is on the back. That would make it easier to change the belts on the Delta. But note that it is NOT HARD to change the belt on the Jet! The real difference is that Delta has had some quality control problems with their midi lathes. Sad but true. I am a member of a large penturning group, and some of the members who bought the Delta Midi have been very disappointed. Spindles not running true, tailstocks not lining up, parts breaking that shouldn't break. Now understand that this is not my experience, but things I have heard from others in the group. It may just be somebody bashing Delta. On the other hand, I have not heard anything bad about the Jet Mini.

With the price being dropped on the Jet Mini I think it is a "can't lose" opportunity! I also bought the stand they make for the Jet Mini a few months ago, and it is a very nice stand.

Good Luck on your decision.

Scott.

Hi Andrew...The new issue of Woodworker's Journal has an excellent article on all the differences between the new models of mini's. I just got mine in the mail yesterday, so they should be on the bookshelves by now I would think. Hope this helps. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves
    Andrew!

Without hesitation, I can heartily recommend the Jet Mini lathe to you!

On the other hand, I have not heard anything bad about the Jet Mini.

Scott.
    I agree with Scott on the Jet. But just so he has heard something bad about the Jet mini.

The switch for the jet is prone to break. It is as much the location as the quality of the switch.

The tailstock on the Jet is known to creep.

The knockout bar could be made to keep from falling through the lathe when it is picked up by simply adding a bolt into the casting under the hole for the knockout bar.

The hand wheel can become lose and is difficult to secure properly.

The motor get quite hot with prolonged use.

These are very minor concerns which do not change my enthusiastic recommendation for the Jet mini.

Thanks

Richard
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Allen
    But just so he has heard something bad about the Jet mini. . .
    YIKES! Not something BAD about my precious Jet Mini!!!

I haven't experienced any of those except for the creepy tailstock. Not to say the others don't exist - I'm sure they do. We had a long discussion on my Penturning group about the creepiness of the Jet tailstock. Actually, most of it was ribbing the Jet owners because they finally found something wrong with their precious Jets! One lady said she keeps a rubber mallet handy, and just gives the tightening lever a whack to cinch it down (we now kid her about using a hammer on her lathe).

I have found that when I cinch the tailstock down, then advance the tail spindle by using the crank, the tailstock will slip back on the bed of the lathe. After it slips a bit, I press on the lever again, and that seems to secure the tailstock. It's like it doesn't quite get it the first time, but letting it slip a bit "settles" something inside the tailstock, and then cinching it again does the trick.

I still recommend the Jet!

Scott.

I had a chance to watch them being worked side-by-side a year ago. The thing that impressed me (or unimpressed me as the case may be) was that the jet seemed to bog down more easily when taking a heavy cut.
    Doyle

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Jet is the machine

As much as I hate to agree with Scott (just kiddin buddy) -- I think the Jet Mini is a great little machine. I have had one for over 3 years and have turned many, many, many items on it. I have not experienced the problems Allen enumerated other than the creep in the tailstock - I use the same procedure as Scott to alleviate that "minor" problem. If you have an interest in the variable speed Jet Mini - that machine is also on sale at GIS - see this thread on that:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...?threadid=3524

In reality my Jet Mini has paid for itself many, many times over. I also have a Jet 1236 which I am getting ready to replace with a Jet 1642 as soon as I can get to Nashville and pick it up.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Scott.
    Allow me to join the crowd of JET Mini Lathe admirers!

I started woodturning in Feb of this year at the Craft Center on the NC State University campus. The Triangle Woodturners of North Carolina (TWNC, our local AAW chapter) had donated 3 Jet Mini-Lathes to the Craft Center. Our class had 8 people sharing 4 Jet Mini-Lathes and the instructor used an older Woodfast (~12" swing x 30-36" between centers) for demonstration. I quickly fell under the spell of turning wood! :-)

Since then, I have made a variety of small items, starting with honey drizzlers (to sharpen my skew chisel skills, pun intended ;-). I discovered that the Craft Center had a "pen mandrel", got some kits at the local WoodCraft store, and have never looked back since. I just tallied up my creations and realized that I have crossed the 50 pen mark! Eeek! (Will I ever see flatwork again?).

The Jet Mini has been my lathe of preference throughout this experience. It is hefty enough to do small bowls and medium sized spindles, yet is compact enough to do the small-scale turnings I enjoy.

TWNC bought a Delta midi-lathe for demonstrations and several members have their own. I have not heard of any significant issues.

A midi/mini-lathe is a GREAT and inexpensive way to get started with woodturning. I'm holding out for the Jet Variable Speed Mini-Lathe. If it works as well as the current mini, I'm BUYING my OWN!!!

Cheers,
    Bob
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Janka
    A midi/mini-lathe is a GREAT and inexpensive way to get started with woodturning. I'm holding out for the Jet Variable Speed Mini-Lathe. If it works as well as the current mini, I'm BUYING my OWN!!!

Cheers,
    Bob
    Bob - If you are looking for a Jet Mini VS -- GIS in Nashville has them on sale now for $289
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Jet Mini Lathe

Scott,

I just got my Jet Mini last week and I can already confirm most of the problems you mentioned. Not that I'm complaining...I think it is a very nice machine it just needs a little tuning.

This morning I went through my scrap pile and found a piece of 1/2" steel plate, I intend to replace the round clamp fastener under the tailstock and the tool post body with rectangular pieces. These will be step machined, heavier and longer to provide more contact with the bottom of the bed ways. This should solve the creep problem.

I have also been thinking of some other improvements I would like to make...stay tuned as I make an effort to "Trick Out the Mini".

I haven't experienced any of those except for the creepy tailstock. Not to say the others don't exist - I'm sure they do. We had a long discussion on my Penturning group about the creepiness of the Jet tailstock. Actually, most of it was ribbing the Jet owners because they finally found something wrong with their precious Jets! One lady said she keeps a rubber mallet handy, and just gives the tightening lever a whack to cinch it down (we now kid her about using a hammer on her lathe).

I have found that when I cinch the tailstock down, then advance the tail spindle by using the crank, the tailstock will slip back on the bed of the lathe. After it slips a bit, I press on the lever again, and that seems to secure the tailstock. It's like it doesn't quite get it the first time, but letting it slip a bit "settles" something inside the tailstock, and then cinching it again does the trick.

Scott.

jet problems

you guys have listed a number of minor problems with the Jet, but none with the Delta. I've used the delta (at Sophie's BBQ) and have really enjoyed it.

Btw, The Santa's Special at General Industrial Supply doesn't start till Oct and the shipping cost will be about $48 making the total cost $237. Tool Crib will beat that price when it goes on sale and sell it for $215. The cheapest I can find the delta for is $260 (after a price match). So it looks as if I'll be waiting till Oct and pick up the Jet.

Now it's time to start lining up the rest of the accessories that I'll need and making a space in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Field
    Btw, The Santa's Special at General Industrial Supply doesn't start till Oct and the shipping cost will be about $48 making the total cost $237.
    It is rather expensive to ship something that heavy all the way from Nashville to Washington. Hope you are able to pick one up cheaper out there.

Cheapest Jet I could find is about $299, so even with the $48 shipping the price at GIS is still very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Field
    you guys have listed a number of minor problems with the Jet, but none with the Delta.
    The Delta midi is a fine lathe but not without fault. The faults I find in the Delta are very minor, just as the faults I find in the Jet are very minor.

The drive belt cover is plastic.

The knob for the drive belt cover gets in the way.

The top of the headstock is round leaving no place to set a chuck you are adjusting or the like.

The switch has an "added on" look and feel

The side door to the drive belt change has a plastic latch which I have seen broken.

The motor has cooling fins which tend to trap sawdust and wood shavings.

The self eject tailstock has a deeper setting than the Jet so some live centers can not be ejected.

On older Delta Midi lathes the handles were plastic and would break easily. The newer ones are metal and this is no longer an issue.

All in all a fine lathe.

Thanks

Richard
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away