View Poll Results: Do you like the Idea?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let's do it! I vote Yes!

31 68.89%
  • Are you Nuts? No way!

1 2.22%
  • Too much trouble, I vote No!

13 28.89%

Thread: Proposed Fun Turning (Long)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Proposed Fun Turning (Long)

I was just thinking today after reading a number of posts having to do with various turning projects. I often see wood that is used for various projects that is unique to certain parts of the country. Now, I’m not talking about the exotic stuff from other countries that you can go and buy but native woods that grow in specific areas of the US. When I see those projects I often wonder how nice it would be to try some of that particular wood. I got to thinking that it would be
    cool to have a wood swap and project post. If you’ve ever played Dirty Santa it would work kind of like that. Here’s the idea.
    Everyone wanting to participate would agree to the following:
    Select a blank of native wood, to your area of the country.
    Send picture of wood to the moderator by _______date.
    Wood can not be purchased at a lumber store or on the internet.
    The blank must not be smaller than 4” x 4” x 4” and not larger than 8” x 8” x 8”.
    Participant agrees to send the blank at their expense to the determined receiver.
    The receiver agrees to create a project and post pictures of the results at an agreed upon, by the group time, between 30 and 60 days after all have received their wood.

Dirty Turning:

A moderator is selected, preferably a non participant they are sent pics of the blanks by the participants. The moderator assigns random numbers to the pictures after they have all been received. The moderator assigns the participants the draw order based on the order in which their entry is received.
    On the first turn, the participant with draw order 1 chooses a number, and is shown the picture with that corresponding number. It is revealed to all the other participants, this done by way of the forum.
    On the second turn, the participant with draw order 2 gets the choice of "stealing" 1’s blank or receiving a new draw blank. If 2 steals 1's blank, then 1 must be given a new draw blank.
    On the third turn, the participant with draw order 3 gets the choice of "stealing" either 1’s or 2’s blank, or receiving a new one.

Turns:

The turn proceeds until a blank is chosen and received. If your blank is stolen you may steal from someone else that has a "live" blank.
    Once a blank is stolen, it can not be stolen again until the next turn. This rule prevents the stealing and re-stealing of a blank from creating an infinite loop.
    A blank is "dead" once a blank has been stolen 3 times.
    All "live" blanks are visible in the thread for request by a potential thief.

Conclusion

The blank exchange typically ends when the last blank is chosen and received.
    However, if the first player has not had a chance to steal a blank, they may be permitted to do so at this time.
    If the first draw order participant steals a blank, their blank then becomes the blank of the participant stolen from.
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 04-23-2006 at 6:39 PM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning