Thread: Blotching Cherry

Unhappy Blotching Cherry

I'm getting ready to finish a small occasional table that is made of cherry wood. So far it's looking good, and I don't want to mess it up at this point. I've sanded the top to 220, and when I wet it with with a damp cloth, she's blotching pretty badly. My plans were two (+)? coats of BLO followed by a few coats of Minwax Wipe On Poly.......... But I'm afraid the blotching on the top may be too much. Normally I don't mind the natural wood look, but this particular board has a little too much for my liking. One option is to cut a new top, but that's a last resort.

To the question, Is there anyway to reduce the blotching ?? I don't plan on using any stains or toners, I just want to bring out the natural color of the wood.

Would an initial coat of thinned out shellac seal it without blotching, If so, could I put BLO over the shellac or should I go straight to the Wipe On Poly ??
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 04-23-2006 at 2:24 PM.
    Tony

That's the figure talking, Tony...if you want to minimize it, avoid the oil, seal with de-waxed shellac and then finish as appropriate. Anything that "soaks in" to the figure is going to make what you call "blotch" appear...nature of the beast.

BTW, there is no point in putting BLO over the shellac since it can't go anywhere with a sealer involved...

J
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, After reading your response, I went ahead and put a light coat of BLO on it, It's definately blotchy but looking good. I'll try to post a pic later.........

BTW : I kinda wish you hadn't worded your response like you did
    With 5 grandkids age 7 and under, #6 due the 4th of July, the LAST thing I need around here is something else that TALKS !!!

Thanks again Jim,
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 04-23-2006 at 3:55 PM.
    Tony

Here's a couple pic's with 1 light coat of BLO..........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

Maybe it is just me but all I see if cherry figure.

Nice looking piece if you ask me.

FWIW I don't like poly and if you haven't put it on yet there are other finishes that will look better. Rock hard and Waterlox are two of the most popular.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Tony,

I wonder if Mr. Becker would comment on the nature of the cherry darkening through oxidation? It may well even out the "blotching" with time.

IMHO, I see beautiful figure and will no doubt follow your lead on the next cherry peice I attempt. What you got is what I want!!!

Very nice work.... Thanks for letting me see it.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Tony, Jim B. gave you one of the "right" processes or, even though I don't much care for poly, a water-based poly would give you minimal "blotching". But, that's all water under the bridge now, seeing as to how you already put the BLO on and "messed" it all up. IMHO, it looks so, so very "bad", if it were me, I'd go ahead and soak in another heavier coat of BLO!!!! Personally, I think you got it right!!! Again, on Cherry, my personal finishing schedule would be to soak in some more BLO, let it cure. Then start squirting lacquer on it. For a table that size, a single can of Watco spray lacquer should do just fine. Probably about 7 or 8 light coats, let is cure up, rub it out, wax it and instant fine furniture!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Tony, Jim B gave you the right advice but being that you already applied the BLO ( I personally love how BLO enhances Cherry), John M's advice is now right on!! The pics as it is now look great. I'd give it another heavy BLO coat. Then let it thoroughly dry (up to a week). Then yoy could go with your topcoat of choice with even an intermediate coat of shellac if you wanted to slightly darken the cherry. Looks good to me!Ya did good!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    Here's a couple pic's with 1 light coat of BLO..........
    Ah...beautiful. You have some nice curl in that wood and it's going to be an outstanding table! (Looks like a candle stand to me from here...without yet having read the rest of the thread...)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker
    I wonder if Mr. Becker would comment on the nature of the cherry darkening through oxidation? It may well even out the "blotching" with time.
    Could happen, but I don't see anything "blotchy" about that cherry...it's just nice curly figure...but as always, this is a personal preference thing. I just took a quick look at two of my older cherry projects and don't find the figure any less discernible after darkening from UV and oxidation. Maybe that will change in about a hundred years...
    --

Thanks J.B., I'm getting ready to start a cherry wood project and this advise came at the right time.

Thanks....... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Honestly, the wet wipe down looked much worst than the first coat of BLO.......I'm very pleased with it so far.

The top is 17" diameter and it goes on the Arts & Crafts Occasional Table (in the article they call it Limbert Tabourette) from Popular Woodworking, issue #137 November 2003. The only change I made was to make the top larger, 17" as opposed to 16" diameter. It stands 26" tall.

Here' a pic as it stands tonight, still need to clean up the base a bit before a coat of BLO......... the top is just sitting there, if it looks offset that's because it's not fastened in position yet...... but no more tonight, I'll work on it in the evenings this week (between the Grandkids softball and flag football games). Will post pic's in the General Forum when complete............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

Sincerely, a beautiful piece in the making, Tony!!! Can't wait to see the final pics on it! Oh, and have fun at the ballgames!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

For my cherry BLO coat I use a mixture of BLO, Tung Oil (the real stuff), and Turpentine in the ratio of 1:1:2. If that gives me problems with the blotchies (i.e. cherry plywood) then I up the ratio to 1:1:9. Another thing you can do to reduce the blotchies is to flood the surface with solvent first, then apply the oil - tends to even things out a bit.

Smile It's Finally Finished !!

Tony