Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you turn and more importantly, what do you turn it on?

I turn on a Jet mini and a Oneway 2436.

I turn anything I can get on the lathe.

Uh...Ed....There's a little bit of dust on your tailstock there. You might wanna clean that off.

What a pretty sight.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hi John,
    That picture was taken back in the Fall when the lathe was new. I think that might have been the first item mounted on it. It looks like Mulberry and I think I remember getting a few cores out of that one!

After turning the Mulberry, the lathe now has a yellow tint to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang
    Hi John,
    After turning the Mulberry, the lathe now has a yellow tint to it!
    So your saying that your Mayo is turning to mustard. ..Andy will be horrified..

Nah. Not me.

My mayo has developed a charming multi-layered patina and a certain smoked hickory aroma reminiscent of a 1973 Kingsford merlot.
    Only the Blue Roads

And an avatar for Ed...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What on and what...

I have my starter Jet Mini which I love, the Craftsman Tube Rail I got to augment the mini(14 yrs old when I bought it but had never been used, included all kinds of tools, accessories, and a Craftsman bench), a second Jet Mini with bed extension, and my wonderful Jet 1642. I'll be bringing my FIL's 70 yr old Craftsman cast iron lathe home in a few weeks. He passed away in Dec 2005. I also have his turning tools and some of his turnings. He also has a small metal-cutting lathe that I will probably rescue as well. He was in interesting guy-could make or fix just about anything.
    I turn all kinds of things, but haven't even scratched the surface of things I want to try. I enjoy turning bowls, but I turn a lot of things between centers as well. Boxes, tops, rattles, vases, a few hollow forms, handles, ornaments, and on and on. I am working on eccentric or multi-axis turning as it fascinates me to do it in a predictable manner.
    Now if anybody can tell me where I can find some 30 hour days, I might just get some shop time

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Morgan
    I have a question for the Craftsman 15" owners, what speeds with that do or is it truly vairable (0-?).
    Mine is a little different than the others, in that it is direct drive and uses a DC motor. When it was new, it had a speed range of 400-2500, but I changed the speed pots on the circuitry so now it's about 200-2300 or there abouts. 400 seemed a tad fast for large chunks of weird shaped stuff.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

9. Pepper and salt mills, bowls, bottlestoppers, ornaments, various kits pens, etc., rolling pins, platters and probably a few more things I'm not remembering right now. Mostly things for family and friends. Bottlestoppers and mills for sale.

Do my turning on my still first lathe a HF34706. On the upgrade track for next winter to a PM3520B.

Jim

I have a Jet Mini (my first lathe) and a Nova DVR. Primary interest is small hollow forms, but I also turn bowls, plates and goblets. Have been turning for a little over a year and am totally hooked. This is my latest piece - a Black Cherry vessel with an African Blackwood collar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The system won't allow me to post duplication of pictures, so I'll just have to refer you to this thread for a peak at mine.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33636

All this mayo and mustard is not worth salt without some catsup in there somewhere (Boy will I pay for this one)

I am still at the early stages of this "sport" and like to do pens and spindle work, but hope to mount a bowl blank on the little red rascal soon and see what kind of trouble I can get into

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=2910

3000# Hempel CH-12 copy lathe.
    Also have a craftsman bench lathe for small stuff

My main lathe is the PM 3520A, just got a Jet VS mini to go along with it. I'll try turning anything at least once, but I really enjoy hollow forms.

[quote=Jason Morgan]WOW,

didnt expect this to be such a popular thread. It really is great to hear how you are all working in the medium (?).

I have a question for the Craftsman 15" owners, what speeds with that do or is it truly vairable (0-?).

Jason, yes it is truly a variable speed. It runs from about 380 rpm to 2000 rpm. I really like it. It will turn 15" inboard and 20" outboard. That is plenty big for me at this time.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,

That seems like a pretty good deal for ~$500. Is anything about the lathe that you dont like or anything you have had to change? Sounds tempting.
    Jason Morgan