Thread: Just venting,, finishing pine

Just venting,, finishing pine

I just finished building a simple cabinet/stand for my DVD's. I used pine from my local box store. First off finishing sucks big time. Secondly, I have come to the conclusion that pine should not be stained with anything darker than Golden Pecan or the like. I used Early American stain and am unhappy with the color and what it looks like. Maybe in time it'll grow on me but for now,,,,.

However I am quite pleased with the new sander I bought last weekend. A PC ROS 333. What a difference from my Tool Shop and Craftsman ROS I've been using for the last year.

Again, just venting, I hate finishing.

If you didn't use Minwax Wood Conditioner on pine, give it a try. It allows the stain to give a much more even color and is well worth the cost and time.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Just finished a little pine sign-in stand for the local food bank. I put two coats of poly on it but I ain't satisfied either.
    I have one of those sanders and dearly love it. I long ago lost count of the times it fell off my table. I then made a little slide in stand for it and it helps but it still bites the concrete every now and then. I had to change the cord and the velcro disc but its still chugging along.
    Lynn J. Sonier

About the only thing I will finish pine with these days is shellac, oil based poly, milk paint or a modern latex paint. I RARELY stain pine as the grain reverses, and that look just about makes me hurl.

I have only stained pine once and been satisfied with the results. I made this table recently, and before I stained it, I used a spray cherry toner, quite heaviliy I might add, prior to a spray and wipe stain.

The legs are glued up 2X4s and the aprons and top are poplar. It actually (I think) looks pretty good, considering the poplar was green and the legs were, well, 2X4s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug, I won't even think about staining Pine without first applying a liberal coat of Minwax Pre Stain Conditioner. It really does help even out the finish. Here is an example of a Pine Table I made this year and finished with Golden Oak Stain and Polycrylic. This of course was after the Pre Stain. I am happy with the eveness of the color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kevin Gerstenecker; 08-24-2003 at 8:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Sonier
    Just finished a little pine sign-in stand for the local food bank. I put two coats of poly on it but I ain't satisfied either.
    I have one of those sanders and dearly love it. I long ago lost count of the times it fell off my table. I then made a little slide in stand for it and it helps but it still bites the concrete every now and then . I had to change the cord and the velcro disc but its still chugging along.
    Lynn
    There is a cure for that sander biting the concrete, get some interlocking anti-fatigue mats, they not only save your legs but also save your tools. I can't count the times my mats have saved one of my tools .
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-24-2003 at 8:38 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I agree with Todd. About the only thing I will put on pine these days is shellac. It doesn't blotch and have that uneven look that stain does, and it's super easy to apply. This works great for honey look you find on antiques. I typially will use 3 to 4 coats of either #1 orange or dark garnet shellac.

You should get to love finishing. After all, it's the finish that gets the "oohs and aahs", not the joinery. Finishing is a skill that must be learned and practiced.

Let me suggust you purchase "Great Wood Finishes" by Jewitt and "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Flexner. Both are excellent and not very redundent. Flexner has all the details and Jewitt will lead you through the process.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 08-26-2003 at 11:59 AM.
    Howie.........