Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly Utility Chuck

Lee, I think you got a bad one and need a return label.
    Bob

Lee I think Corey Hallagan got a bad one his first order. He sent it back and got another one that I think is ok. You might PM him and find out what he did.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller
    Don't know if it's exactly a 'get what you pay for' situation, but at $42.50 QC probably isn't at the top of the their mission statement. If you returned it you might get lucky and get one that was built by someone with a couple more days of on the job experience. I've heard a few horror stories about Grizzlys return policies too though.
    Much of my shop came from Grizzly. I have had to return a few items and get tech support on some other things. My experience is that in the first year (their warranty) and with the receipt (their stated policy), nothing stands in the way of them giving first-rate service to the customer and with a smile. I had to return a defective chuck. Before giving me the replacement it was actually placed on a lathe and checked out. Can't ask for better than that. After that year, you pay for the call to tech support and they give free advice but will SELL you needed fix-it parts.

Update

Talked to Grizzly this morning: they agree this one is a lemon and are replacing it. Tech support guy was very surprised at the amount of oil/grease still on the chuck and completely mystified about the lack of jaw index numbers. New one will get sent out later today (with a note on the order to clean and inspect it first) and they'll refund me for the old chuck and all the extra shipping when they get it back (that was my choice, to speed things up a bit).

So far, so good...stay tuned.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

5. That is great to hear.

I've not used my a whole bunch, yet, but is for what I've done, I sure like it!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    That is great to hear.

I've not used my a whole bunch, yet, but is for what I've done, I sure like it!

Cheers!
    Yeah. Upon closer inspection (not like I can do anything useful with it), root cause is mismachining on one of the inner jaws: the groove the outer jaw registers on has a step on the inner edge...way too wide at the top, way too narrow at the bottom. I could probably live with it: this chuck was intended to have a set of my homemade flat jaws permanently attached. But I'd just as soon have a good one underneath in case I want to use it for something else.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Grizzly Chuck

I also ordered one of these a while back. It had a lot - I mean A LOT of wobble (body face not perpendicular to the centerline of the bore). They accepted the return without question & sent me a new one, although it took a few weeks. The second one is nearly dead-on straight. The jaws are a bit sloppy, but it works ok for small pieces. I use it for rounding out a bunch of blanks where the stock isn't in the jaws for more than a few minutes, and the rotation is slower. I switch to another chuck for finish turning.