Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Utility Chuck

Grizzly Utility Chuck

This is the $42.50, model G8784 that (I think) a few of you have already. Showed up yesterday, thought I'd get a couple of opinions here before I call customer service.

First, when I unwrapped it, it was literally dripping oil. I understand the concepts of corrosion prevention and lubrication as well as the next person, and this was simply about 10X the required amount by any rational standard. So first job, disassemble and degrease, relube with the dry teflon wonder-lube I use on my guns. Oy. (My mood wasn't helped by the fact that the catalog I requested was in the bottom of the box, and came out with about a cubic foot of styrofoam packing peanuts stuck to it by static.)

Second, discovered during step 1 that there are no, repeat no, jaw number markings on either the jaws or the chuck body...good thing I noticed that after the first one and kept track. You'd think the tolerances would be tight enough that it wouldn't matter which jaw went in which slot, but on this one it sure seems to: the registration between jaws and chuck is a bit ambiguous. I think the technical term is "sloppy", which is the same word I want to use for the internal fit as well: the inner jaws have at least 1/32" of play on the scroll.

Got it back together and threw it on the lathe for a smoke test. The threads bottom out before the rear flange comes anywhere close to the flange on the spindle, but it seems solid enough, so I drop down to the slowest pulleys, stand back, and hit the switch. No evil noises, but visible runout: looks like the front face isn't square to the spindle, plus it's slightly out-of-round, which may be the jaw fit problem I mentioned before.

Is this just a case of "you get what you pay for", or is this particular unit hosed up?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I gotta say Lee....You got a lemon for sure! I noted none of the discrepancies you describe. Mine had a light film of protection, no visible runout and the jaws behaved as I expected. What did they do...send you the first prototype?
    Worthy of a complaint and some rapid action...regardless of the price.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Ok, I popped an email to their customer service address...not really in the right frame of mind to talk to them at the moment. Will follow up with a call tomorrow if I don't hear back.

Thanks for the input.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

The part that bothers me the most is where it will not seat against the bottom of the spindle combined with the run-out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The part that bothers me the most is where it will not seat against the bottom of the spindle combined with the run-out.
    No kidding. The threads on a Jet mini spindle stop about 1/8" short of the flange. The chuck I have from PSI has a relief cut in the threads to clear that unthreaded portion of the spindle, the Grizzly part doesn't. And it's not just a question of a bad insert, because there isn't one: the Grizzly threads are integral to the rear chuck body.

6. Mine works just fine, none of the problems you are talking about.

To clean mine, I just stuck it on the lathe, stood back, and turned it on

Worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan

Worked for me!
    No way was I doing that: my garage would have looked like the back of a biker who had over-oiled his chain. When I said "dripping with oil", I was not exaggerating...and there was what looked like cosmoline under the oil: haven't seen anything that messy since I refurbed a WWII-vintage rifle that had been in storage for 40 years.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    No way was I doing that: my garage would have looked like the back of a biker who had over-oiled his chain. When I said "dripping with oil", I was not exaggerating...and there was what looked like cosmoline under the oil: haven't seen anything that messy since I refurbed a WWII-vintage rifle that had been in storage for 40 years.
    You do know that I call my workshop "The Dungeon".......... right

OK, mine was not "dripping" with oil, but moist, and I did wipe it, a bit, but I was so excited to get it, I had it on the lathe in no time, and the first time I turned it on...... Yep, just like a bike with an over oiled chain

Cheers!

Don't know if it's exactly a 'get what you pay for' situation, but at $42.50 QC probably isn't at the top of the their mission statement. If you returned it you might get lucky and get one that was built by someone with a couple more days of on the job experience. I've heard a few horror stories about Grizzlys return policies too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Mine works just fine, none of the problems you are talking about.

Worked for me!

Gee Stu I wondered what the brown stripe up the front of your chest & on up over your face was.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 04-21-2006 at 12:15 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Lee,

I've got the same chuck. It is my first and only, so have nothing "real" to compare it to. That said, I agree that it is a tad "sloppy", but didn't expect precision for 42 bucks. Mine does not have any apparant run out, it is square to the spindle, and doesn't appear to be out of round. It does bottom out before coming in contact with the flange, but seems to hold just fine. Mine wasn't soaked in oil like yours (Stu's box had oil stains on the outside though......) and I was less than happy with the static peanuts myself!!!

I believe I got what I paid for - a solid, decent chuck for 42 bucks. If mine had the problems yours did, I'd be on the phone to Grizzly ASAP. Sounds like you got a lemon.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

I also started out with that chuck. My biggest complaint is that when i turn a bowl on a face plate and then try to chuck it in the chuck, it is far from concentric. I usually try to tap it into some semblence of round but often have to re-turn the outside some. It is near the top of my list of want-to-buy-tools, to get a better chuck. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I can't help myself, I'm a diemaker by trade, and I'm not used to millwright accuracy.

Lee, as an experiment put some flat washers on the spindle to take up the extra space and see if it runs any straighter that way.
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert E Lee
    Lee, as an experiment put some flat washers on the spindle to take up the extra space and see if it runs any straighter that way.
    Bob.
    Great minds think alike: that takes out maybe half of the axial runout ("wobble") but doesn't seem to help the radial runout ("shake").

15. Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Gee Stu I wondered what the brown stripe up the front of you chest & on up over your face was.
    Hey hey..... It's "Stu", not "Stupid"

I got the heck out of the way before I hit the power switch!