Thread: Marking clear anodized Al

Marking clear anodized Al

A customer passed this link on to me and I thought I'd pass it on to the folks here. Synrad explains how to laser clear anodized aluminum with a CO2 laser.

Looks cool as I've never had luck with this before.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

This would be fairly difficult to do on the systems that we all use on this board. That was done with a co2 marker -- and a single-line font. You may be able to achive these results in a vector mode, but it is very difficult still to output a single line font for vector. At least I've never succeeded since it is outside of the specs required for TTF and PS fonts.

Robert Bosworth
    www.usedlasers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bosworth
    This would be fairly difficult to do on the systems that we all use on this board. That was done with a co2 marker -- and a single-line font. You may be able to achive these results in a vector mode, but it is very difficult still to output a single line font for vector. At least I've never succeeded since it is outside of the specs required for TTF and PS fonts.

Robert Bosworth
    www.usedlasers.com
    Hmm...if you have text in Corel, apply 'Convert to Curves', set outline to 'hairline' and fill to 'none', isn't that effectively a "single line font"?

Although for the life of me, I don't see why raster mode won't work: it's just a question of finding the right combination of power and burn duration (AKA speed).
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Marking clear anodized

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Hmm...if you have text in Corel, apply 'Convert to Curves', set outline to 'hairline' and fill to 'none', isn't that effectively a "single line font"?
    Lee, that's going to result in the outline of the letters, What he's looking for is single line letters as if drawn with a thin pen. I don't know of any fonts for that other than CAD and rotary engraving system fonts, that I suppose could be exported to Corel.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    Lee, that's going to result in the outline of the letters, What he's looking for is single line letters as if drawn with a thin pen. I don't know of any fonts for that other than CAD and rotary engraving system fonts, that I suppose could be exported to Corel.
    Ok, I see that. But I have to ask: what's so magical about single-line fonts with respect to this marking method?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

The problem is that ttf and postscript fonts by definition are closed objects. It's just like in CorelDRAW you can not fill a curve that has an open node (for obvious reasons). If fonts were able to contain open areas, then they would be impossible to fill.

There are some single-line cad fonts, but these are proprietary fonts that can not be used within Corel. I have only seen them used with proprietary software/machines.

I've just never been succesful rastering on clear anodized pieces. Of course -- I have never been succesful vectoring either. I was mostly just trying to point out that these pieces were run on a co2 marking system with a galvo head.

Single Line Font

Brewed special for youse guys.
    Try the attached .cdr.

(for those that don't know, you must change the file extension to .cdr while or after downloading)

Whoops, was X3, changed it to v10.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jerry Allen; 04-17-2006 at 4:51 PM.

After I posted, I checked out the rest of the site and realized it was produced by a galvo system.

We used to serialize CD-Roms with a galvo system. Watching that one day got me to thinking a guy could make money with one of those. $59,580 in payments and $9000 in receipts says I was wrong. Sigh.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002