Thread: Easter Eggs

Easter Eggs

Something GF's sister suggested: you wrap the raw eggs with onion skin while you're boiling them. Tried it with a few raw eggs we had on hand...results came out looking like wood:
    Eggs.jpg
    First I'd heard of this, but the results are sure impressive.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Wow...that's cool Lee. How do you get the onion skin to stick to the egg? Or do you wrap them after they've been in the bath for a bit?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

And what was the person doing that found this out?......Let's see.....I've got eggs.......I've got onion skins......I wonder what would happen if I'd wrap the eggs with onion skins and boil them........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    How do you get the onion skin to stick to the egg?
    Rubber bands. I think the variation in the color is partly due to how tightly the onion skin is pressed to the egg at any given spot.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

5. So the onion skin just comes off and the color from the oninon skins dye the eggs? Cool, I wonder if other leaves would work?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    So the onion skin just comes off and the color from the oninon skins dye the eggs? Cool, I wonder if other leaves would work?

Cheers!
    Hummmmm....I wonder what would happen if I wrapped some eggs in some burl veneer?

Happy Easter to each of you.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

My girls attend a Slovenian School each Saturday to learn the language and culture. It was shown to me this morning that they made Easter Eggs last week in school in the olden-style Slovenian way. They used Onion Skins, Beets, Red Cabbage and a variety of other vegetables for dyes. They were able to cut out patterns in the onion skins and stick those to the eggs to transfer the designs to the eggs. Evidently, Celery leaves make nice patterns too. ......Mother of Invention.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson