Thread: Identifying Acrylic

Identifying Acrylic

Hi all,
    I was wondering if there is a way to identify acrylic (cast or extruded) if it does not clearly state it on the paper or plastic masking. Most of the acrylic I see in hardware stores just say acrylic or plexiglass. Some have a blue plastic covering, and others have a paper covering. I have etched and cut out a 16x20 photograph on some .236" acrylic found at a hardware store. It came out great. The etching was a little on the lite side.
    Thank you.

I'm told the easiest way is to engrave and cut a sample:
    if the engraved area looks "etched", it's (probably) cast;
    if the cut edges look polished, it's (probably) extruded.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks for the reply.
    The 16x20 photograph I did, etched well. The etching did not come out a bright white. It was a little softer. I also cut it to size, and it is real smooth and shiny.

Jim

Sounds like extruded...most of the stuff you see at HD or the hardware store is.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Identifying Acrylic

Jim,

Most of the time the blue plastic covered are extruded, the paper cast. It does depend on the manufacturer though, so it's not 100%. Extruded cuts better but doesn't engrave as well, sort of a mushy look to it, less like etched glass.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Its easy to identify , burn a little piece/strip. Extruded burns silently and drips molten flaming balls , cast burns with a crackly flame and wont drip burning pieces.

Hmmm

That's a great idea Rodne, the only problem is that if you are standing in the hardware store burning their plastic and dripping flaming balls of molten acrylic on their carpet.... Hehehee

I wonder, doesn't the store have to maintain an MSDS sheet (at least in the US) on all of the materials? Maybe that would state the composition. Worth a try to ask them. I suppose if you get one of those young dazed looking clerks, you might have to spell MSDA for them though!
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Wells; 04-16-2006 at 2:02 PM.
    Michael

Nighthawk Arts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wells
    I wonder, doesn't the store have to maintain an MSDS sheet (at least in the US) on all of the materials?
    I wish! It has to be available from the manufacturer, but I'm not even sure that applies to stuff that's intended for retail sale and is not toxic in its intended application.

That "intended application" business is a real hassle. It's nearly impossible to get some manufacturers to tell you whether something contains PVC or not: "cutting with a laser" isn't an intended application for most retail products.

Cast acrylic has a minimum +-10% tolerance in thickness and the cheaper varieties can end up at + and minus 20% sheet tolerance. Extruded is alike 1% or so tolerance. If you measure a cut sheet at all edges and its exactly or near to spec , it's most likely extruded. Extruded is always cheaper then Cast. At any rate , even small places will have a plastics supplier or a sign supplier who will definately know the diff between the 2 and will also carry many other lines you can use , worthwhile finding one near you and getting your stuff there. Stuff like polyester vinyl used to laser masks , engraving lams , fixtures and fittings and so on will enable you to come up with different ideas and products.