Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fence Etiquette

Anthony...Regarding that guy who insisted that the good side of the fence be put on his side only the have it taken down and done the right way...If the contractor had done it wrong and it was his error, he would be responsible to pay for the correction. But if the home owner insisted that it be done that way, than he's responsible for the correction. The contractor is supposed to know the ordinance and relayed it to the owner, but in this case it sounds like the owner could care less. His fault, he pays.

Brandon,

I've built a lot of wood privacy fences and all were good side out. Proper etiquette aside, if you to put the rail side out you are giving a ladder to anyone who wants to climb it.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    One word: Roundup.
    Mark, you beat me to it.

With Invisible Fence, which side goes out? I wasn't around when they buried ours and don't know which way they faced the wire?

My neighbor has a beautiful cedar fence around his property. The boards run vertical and every other board is on the other side. Looks nice...hides the frame....both sides are the good side.........a real booger to stain! He paints/stains it about every 4 years and cusses himself for building it that way. He's brushed it...sprayed it....sprayed and back brushed......it's a booger to stain.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    With Invisible Fence, which side goes out? I wasn't around when they buried ours and don't know which way they faced the wire?
    Dont you need a collar unit to make these work? I know just the folk who should be wearing one and it anit Martha Stuart!
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Good side out towards the street, Alternating panels between houses.

works for me.

good side should face out

if you put the supports, bracing on the outside it makes it easier for someone to climb over.
    my .02

charles is right. Why make a ladder for the thieves to get into your yard any easier? Good side goes out!!!

We boarder some federal land, an old NIKE site, which we now refer to as the "Secret Underground Government Facility", I think this is the place where they keep the real Stargate...Shhh don't tell anyone.

Anyway, it has a nice 8' chain link fince that's so overgrown you can hardly tell it's there. Here's a pic that I took yesterday. As you can see we have some neighbors who stop by from time to time just to say hello to the dogs. (They said they were from the planet "moo")
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here, you can build an 8' tall fence, and the good side goes out for all that face a street. Back yard fences between neighbors and the back alley fence are all built with the good side in to the yard of the owner that is paying for the fence.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 04-14-2006 at 7:15 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".