Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Downtime

Recent Downtime

Wow, what a day.

Just wanted to let everyone know the water was flowing again at the 'Creek. I went to fix the 'database errors' problem remotely this morning, and ended up rebooting the server afterward. Unfortunately, the server tried to reload the old network interface (instead of the new one), so I wasn't able to bring the 'Creek back up until I got home this evening (via the terminal).

As it turns out, the database errors were being caused by a corrupt index (from an improper shutdown during the last power cycle/storm we had), but it was on an infrequently used table, so I didn't see the issue until it happened to the table where new threads are stored. (Hence noone being able to post).

Long story short: Enjoy the Creek--while I empty the 2000+ emails out of my inbox!! (Yes, every time it says, "An email has been sent to the technical staff"....)
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Thanks for bringing it back up Aaron

Thanks for the work Aaron. I was never worried at all.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Thanks Aaron, I'm finally able to post the pics that I couldn't do before!

So I shouldn't have retried my post several times?

Thanks Aaron!

Thanks again for all you do Aaron!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Don't do this again Aaron.... I think kicking smoking is easier than not being able to visit the Creek for a day

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Long story short: Enjoy the Creek--while I empty the 2000+ emails out of my inbox!! (Yes, every time it says, "An email has been sent to the technical staff"....)
    Aaron,

I ran a BBS years back and know how you feel. Thanks for all the "behind the scenes actions!"

Larry

Aaron....Ever thought about a UPS for the server?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Aaron,
    Thanks for your work. I'll get over the withdrawl systems sooooooooooon..

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl

--while I empty the 2000+ emails out of my inbox!! (Yes, every time it says, "An email has been sent to the technical staff"....)
    Been there, done that .

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Aaron....Ever thought about a UPS for the server?
    Dennis,

We have a hand-me-down Cyber Power 1500AVR UPS that only lasts about 15 minutes when we lose power. The battery has to power the cable modem, router, hub and server. My workshop network is external to the SMC server and equipment. The UPS mainly functions as protection from power surges, maybe one day we can purchase a new UPS that would support the Creek for several hours.

Our current financial status allows us to invest in the shop tours programming and our bandwidth bills for the remainder of the year. The second server we are planning to add is a used machine I have in the office so there isn't any financial burden from splitting the server load that Aaron is planning. I hadn't given much thought to the additional strain on the battery backup from adding the second server...dang!!!

When I get rich I would like to add circuitry that would auto-start my generator and pickup the entire workshop...minus the big tools obviously . If the day ever comes that I can return to my shop full-time again I would be able to get my generator up online, hopefully before the UPS dies.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Thanks for the work Aaron. I was never worried at all.

John
    I was worried -- that someone might notice how much real work I got done yesterday and think it was normal.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    I was worried -- that someone might notice how much real work I got done yesterday and think it was normal.
    Roger that!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Blog Entries
    Now I don't pretend to know much about this server stuff. But, isn't there software out there that can automatically do a normal shut down when the UPS batteries start to fade?

Plus, I thought we had this money thing all straightened out. I was under the impression that the sys admin staff understood that if SMC ever had a need for capital improvements, all that is needed is a simple call to the membership, and it's done. The power of many small contributions is huge.
    This forum is THE BEST WOODWORKING FORUM IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. I know that my quality of life is made better by it being here. There is no reason for us to not have everything necessary to keep it that way. That includes any hardware and software needed to keep us running at top performance.
    So, please sys admin staff, just tell us what you need and it will happen. I'm ready with my checkbook. (At least that the way I feel!)
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 04-12-2006 at 3:10 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.