Thread: Gloat Time!

Talking Gloat Time!

Well, I guess it is time for a Gloat! Terry Quiram has offered me his former Lathe, and I have decided to "Take a walk on the dark side" an accept his generous offer. I was planning on a future Lathe Purchase, so I guess the future is NOW! The Lathe is a Delta/Rockwell 4 speed, 12/36 and I cannot wait to get it. Terry will be travelling to the other Terry's BBQ, and will be going right by my home town, and he has very generously offered to drop it off on his way. Terry is including many accessories as well, which is a bonus...............I can be ruining wood in no time at all! I am new to turning, so there is no doubt that I will be asking for advice and have many questions. I did some "Piddling" with a Lathe in High School Shop Class, but that is the extent of my experience with Turning. Any suggestion of publications on the subject would be greatly appreciated.............I need to learn the "tricks of the Turn" so don't hurt myself or damage my equipment. My Uncle is a turner and carver, so I think he will give me a few lessons and pointers to get me started. I am really excited, as is my Wife.................she loves the work the turners at the Creek share. She especially likes Ken's Segmented Bowl..............I told her not to hold her breath on that one! My Wife, Angie, thinks she may like to turn as well, which will help with the upcoming tool purchased to compliment the new Toy. Did I mention I CAN'T WAIT?!?!?!
    Thanks again Terry...............I appreciate it MUCHLY!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Kevin,

Congratulations on your "New Tool". Hope to see some pictures of some bowls in the near future. Be careful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    ...I can be ruining wood in no time at all!
    Kevin, it's not "ruining wood"...it's "redesigning your turning on the fly". Of course, once you get the addiction...and you will...you will not have as much time for all that nice flat work you do.

Be sure to check for a local American Association of Woodturners chapter near you. It's a great way to find mentors, see awesome demos and view extraordinarily inspiring work by other turners.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh Oh

Looks like we won't get to oggle over your beautiful boxes anymore Once Terry drops off your new toy there will be no turning back (pun intended )
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Cool Awright!

Good for you, Kev! It is fun and addictive. Heck, I just ruined a piece of Maple this evening myself! (No, seriously. About 90% complete and the puppy blew up on me! Grrrrrrrrr..... ) But, that's just the way it turns out, sometimes.(Pun intended!) Have phun!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Congrats Kevin

I'm thinkin round boxes might be in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    I'm thinkin round boxes might be in your future.
    If Joanne A. can do square bowls (displayed at the 5-Barns Pic-a-nic), Kevin can certainly switch to round boxes...

Mike Schwing Guest
    Lucky you! But totally unfair! I was the guy who just took the intro lathe course!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies! I especially like Jim's "Redesigning your turning on the fly".....probably be a lot of that at first. Tom, I am not giving up my Flat Work.................especially my boxes. Actually, I have a couple in the works now. You will get to see them soon! Thanks Keith, round boxes sound like a great idea. When I get it figured out how to do square boxes on the Lathe................LOOKOUT! John, we will have to compare scrap piles to see who has wrecked the most stuff! (No fair that you have a head start, so stay away from your Lathe 'till I get caught up!) I can't wait to get started, and I will be posting pictures of my first work Von, no matter what it looks like! It might make for a good "Guess what this is" contest! Mike, I wish I was the one who took the Intro. Lathe Course.......I could use it. I have my Uncle lined up for lessons.........he is excited and can't wait. I don't know if that is a good thing or not! Between he and my Dad, they have taught me most everything I know about Woodworking, and I am anxious to begin a new chapter. If the Heat Index wasn't 110+, I would be at the Farm cutting up some wood for blanks RIGHT NOW!