Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Processing a Bowl Blank - Pics

Thanks Everyone for the kind words.

Remember, this is just the process I go through to take a wet chunk of wood to one that is roughed out, soaked, wrapped and ready for the waiting game of drying.

Please don't assume that it's My Alky Method, when it really isn't. Dave Smith is the author of the Alky Drying Method and he deserves all the credit in the world for such a wonderful way to help dry roughed out bowls and saving bowls from cracking and splitting during the drying process. I just took it for granted that everyone knew it was Dave Smith's Alky Method. I just simply adopted it as my choice of drying wet wood.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

My Process of Bowl Drying

Dennis:

Have been following the procedure for drying using DNA, and guess when I really get to turn a green bowl, this is the procedure I will use.

Now a couple of questions>

What do you start with for a blank. Do you use a 4 to 6 inch slice of the log or do you take a much larger piece and half the log getting 2 bowls. I am completely unsure where to start. If you do half the log, how to I do it. Wedge and hammer. I do not have a band saw that will cut that much with only a 93" inch blade.

Looking at your first picture, I saw it as a slice.

Thanks all for the comments that have been coming on this thread.

Ed

Ed,

I use a chainsaw and just rough cut a bowl blank. What I usually do it cut just to one side of the "pith" of the log (heart of the tree) and mount the block. It's usually about 6" to 8" thick depending on how tall of a bowl I want to end up with. The important thing is to remove the Pith as it will cause checks and cracks in the bowl if you don't.

I don't use a bandsaw at all. Chainsaw works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward E Wilson Jr
    Dennis:

Have been following the procedure for drying using DNA, and guess when I really get to turn a green bowl, this is the procedure I will use.

Now a couple of questions>

What do you start with for a blank. Do you use a 4 to 6 inch slice of the log or do you take a much larger piece and half the log getting 2 bowls. I am completely unsure where to start. If you do half the log, how to I do it. Wedge and hammer. I do not have a band saw that will cut that much with only a 93" inch blade.

Looking at your first picture, I saw it as a slice.

Thanks all for the comments that have been coming on this thread.

Ed
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Processing a Bowl Blank

Hello Dennis:

I am still not sure what you are telling me, other than to cut the log down through the middle, a little to the side of center on each. Looking at your first picture, I am seeing a block of wood about 2 - 3 inches thick, flat on both sides and I would say about 8 - 9 inches across. What size log are you using and why does the outside not have the circle of the tree.

Again, your postings have been what I have been looking for.

Ed

A little help with the alcohol bath

GREAT POST! (article) something like this belongs in wood turning design!

..but (and there always is one) I tried to find more information on the alcohol bath and searched for dave smith and alcohol and found nothing!

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Hank Merkle

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Continued from previous post......

4th Pic - Shows the bowl all roughed out on the outside and the inside and still mounted to the Super Nova Chuck. It's now ready to be removed from the chuck.

5th Pic - Here's the freshly turned bowl blank now setting in it's 24 hour home of an alky bath (Developed by Dave Smith). Notice that it's not fresh alky. Black Walnut and other dark woods will turn the Alky dark like that....so I call it my Alky Tea.

6th Pic - Here's the bowl getting ready to come out of the alky bath at about 24 hours later. Don't pay any attention to the color of the outside of the wood. It all turns away when finish turning the bowl.

Continued on the next post.....
    "There is an alternate time and place where everything I say makes sense!"

Is it just me, or did the pics in the initial post disaappear? I can't see them anymore, but I can see them in Hank's post above.

- Vaughn

Vaughn, nope...It's not just you. I can't either. I note the article, at length, is still on Dennis' site. I wonder if maybe the locations of the original pics may have gotten moved, rendering the pics with the article here kind of useless. Sounds like Dennis may have been having some issues loading the pics to the SMC server when he did the article, hence the links. As always, it's best to store related pics at SMC for situations just like this. Hopefully, Dennis will see your post and can maybe upload the pics here or correct the links. It's a SUPER article and I'd hate to not have it in its entire form!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I read a post by Jim Becker couple of days ago that said:

The reason ......is that HTML is currently turned off on SMC. You must use either the normal upload or use the vBulletin image linking button. You cannot just write HTML code any more. Reason? Our recent hacker attack...)
    Wonder if this is the cause of the issue?
    Only the Blue Roads

OK...it's fixed now. Aaron removed the ability for including html code in a post. So I've had to revamp it and just upload the pics. Sorry for the confusion.
    Dennis -

great instructional post!!

I have one question, though. What is the container you are using to soak your bowls in?
    I use DNA as well to dry bowls, but I don't have a container big enough to put the large bowls in. I double up a couple of trash bags and use that to soak my roughed out bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Crisher
    I have one question, though. What is the container you are using to soak your bowls in?
    I use DNA as well to dry bowls, but I don't have a container big enough to put the large bowls in. I double up a couple of trash bags and use that to soak my roughed out bowls.
    Dave,

It is a plastic container that was sent to me by a fellow SMC member. I don't know where he found it, but it's really great to use. It must hold something like 30 gallons and that's a lot of money in DNA. If I find a source for these, I'll post back here and let you know.
    Dennis -

Dennis, daaa gone!!! Roughed out bowl blank? Geez, I would be happy to take one looking like that in as a finished product! Thanks for the tutorial, great information I will use in the future.

Jon,

Glad you found it useful. I try my best to post things that would help others as I come across things that I feel could be of use to someone at sometime.
    Dennis -

Thanks!

Please keep the tutorials coming! Those of us that simply lurk here and never post quietly gain from your experience! Thanks!